REPORT: Palace Set To Make £15 Million Move For Prolific Striker This Summer

1 Posted by - April 15, 2019 - News

Crystal Palace are expected to be busy in the summer transfer market and according to a report in The Telegraph, the Eagles are one of three Premier League clubs lining up bids for Birmingham City star Che Adams.

The 22-year-old who began his professional career at Sheffield United has been on fire for the blue side of Birmingham all season and is being widely tipped to make the jump to the Premier League without them this summer but who will Palace face competition from in their attempts to land him?

It seems Southampton and Burnley are two potential suitors for the attacker, with his age, hunger and goal return having forced clubs all over the country to sit up and take notice but should he continue to pull up trees in the second tier, we may find that a few of the Premier League’s big hitters throw their hats into the ring.

For Palace, the loss of form Christian Benteke has endured gives us little choice but to begin searching the market for a potentially potent goalscorer to take his place in the side from August onwards. With Alexander Sørloth still out on loan in Belgium and Michy Batshuayi highly unlikely to leave Chelsea permanently given the price the Blues have placed on his head, Dougie Freedman and the rest of Palace’s scouting team will undoubtedly be intrigued by the potential Adams possesses.

The report itself claims that Birmingham would be looking for £15 million to let Che go; in my view that estimation feels a little light but either way, we can be sure that the 22-goal striker wouldn’t make anywhere near as much of a dent in the wage bill as Benteke or Batshuayi if he were to swap Birmingham for Beckenham.

I’ll lay my cards on the table from the start, a move for Adams is one I would be extremely excited by. Can we pull it off? Only time will tell but I’d certainly like to think that this link is far more than simple paper talk designed to fill a few column inches.

• tzcar April 15, 2019 - 8:53 am Reply

this is welcomed news a positive outlook.there must be major changes at the end of season.again a pathetic performance against city.plenty of grit but no substance. team selection all wrong.i don,t know wether these performances are down torh or the players.but selhurst this season has been a depressing place to watch your football.all over the net fan,s are getting very angry, this is growing week by week.surely fan,s have a right to be entertained not bored into submission.

• TonyN April 15, 2019 - 9:18 am Reply

What appeals to me is that he would not have such a big adjustment in playing in the EPL. Players from outside the UK often take a season to adjust whilst he will have much of the adjustment already done. His challenge will be the quality of defenders and goalkeepers but not the season length, number of games and how hard christmas can be.

• ee signing April 15, 2019 - 9:31 am Reply

tzcar

what does plenty of grit but no substance mean and how does plenty of grit make the performance pathetic or even lacking in substance
    . Just not surre what you were expecting out of this game

• tzcar April 15, 2019 - 2:49 pm Reply

were u at the match.the players show grit by trying for a point.no ambition,they made it easy for city.this is by no-means the only bad performance at home this season.other websites are full of fed up genuine fans,unfortuantly i agree with them our own sky reporter palace fan neil ashton is merely saying the same thing.every week the disenchantment gets louder,or are u saying the fan,s are wrong.i feel for parish cos come june there,s one hell of alot of sorting out to be done,and ground extension,best of luck steve.

• Gordon April 15, 2019 - 11:07 pm Reply

I’m not going to apologise for not being at this match. I don’t live anyway near enough. And the least said about the comment about “genuine fans” the better. Being at the match doesn’t necessarily provide a better, more accurate view of how the team played. Yes, 90 mins at the match will be a more reliable view than 10 mins on MOTD or 30 mins on the Nissan highlights on Sky. But 90 mins of Nissan match choice is at least comparable and, arguably, live match coverage could be more insightful due to the many camera angles, replays and detailed analysis. So, yes, I’ll defer to opinions from fans who were there when I know what I saw was incomplete, but not otherwise.
    My take on the full match I saw yesterday was that it was a fair attempt to catch out the Champions. Obviously it would have been suicidal to play an open game with such superior opponents and so we played to contain them and counter. Benteke didn’t have a bad game for a change. His hold up play was better than I expected and he was strong in the air. Wilf tried his best but Walker handled him as well as any FB could and he even had Sterling tackling back which doesn’t often happen.
    To those who might point out that we were dominated by City (and in terms of possession we were) I would just say that I can’t remember seeing Pep & his coaching staff looking as worried as they were towards the end of this match. I also can’t remember City having previously had to engage in blatant time-wasting tactics at the end of a game. Furthermore, it was significant that City (who with Liverpool are well ahead in the FairPlay league) had more than double our foul count in this match. I’d suggest that Roy and his team got his tactics spot on. We gave them a game – we made them really sweat for the points and they went away relieved. I was proud of the performance. It’s another sign of the progress we’ve made when we no longer expect to get trounced by the top six. 7 goals and 3 points against the 2 runaway PL leaders is a very creditable haul.

• D Paul April 16, 2019 - 1:28 am Reply

It is known that Palace needs a striker. Michy was not as good as advertised and not a team player. He wanted exposure so that he can get that big paycheck. Benetke looks better but at 120k per week, he should be gone tomorrow. Ayew will be signed and is actually pathetic. Connor is an unknown. He had a good game in the FA Cup against Tottenham and then Roy pushed him off the “edge of the table” never to be seen again. He is closse to 6 ft 3 and very aggressive. I liek him but he appears to be a threat to Roy’s reaching out to the black players. If that be so and I think that it is, that should be enough to send Roy packing as at the end of his developmental road.

• tzcar April 16, 2019 - 7:53 am Reply

u miss the point gordon.this performance is hardly the first at home this season.as u were not there,or being in the ground talking to real supporters,u don,t really get what fan,s are feeling.yes your intilted to your view,but don,t cross us who go to most matches and see what,s really going on.u have to be in the stadium to know the growing disatisfaction.even s.parish on interview last week admitted he was disapointed.don,t try and dismiss those who pay every week to support our palace.thjis does not give me any pleasure.but as we are close to the fire have a better view than an armchair critic,with selected tv vision.note what d.paul has said is this not aliken to what i have said.were be safe this season,but this can,t carry on next.home performancies have been on the whole turgid.this is a fact.pay the money come and see yourself,i swear you,d change your view.

• Gordon April 16, 2019 - 9:25 am Reply

Couldn’t disagree more, tzcar. I think that your distinction between real fans and others is imagined.
      I know from the many years I spent supporting the club home and away that the attending supporters I was part of was by no means a unified group but was an assembly of people with greatly diverging opinions – some of which made sense and others which didn’t.
      There was the middle aged guy who couldn’t cope with us being outclassed and therefore continually yearned for us to be relegated from the top flight so we could compete at our true level. There were the 4 or 5 drunken lads who sang, shouted & gesticulated animatedly but spent more time looking at the opposing fans than at the pitch. There were a couple of blokes who kept trying to stir up discontent with a running commentary of negativity. And there was a relatively small but vocal group of boo boys who seemed to think that derision was the best form of support. But most of the fans around me were passionate and positive and I thoroughly enjoyed being part of that crowd. But I wouldn’t pretend that we had some special insight into what was going on in the ground – because we didn’t. As a fan in the crowd you don’t really know what’s happening 20 yards away from you let alone in the other stands.
      So let’s accept that we don’t speak with one voice but are a broad church. And if we must be tribal, let’s be tribal under the one banner rather than as spurious subdivisions.

• tzcar April 16, 2019 - 10:55 am Reply

no mate i never said i speak with 1 vioce byut concenses is thus.im certainly not taking some armchair critic who hasn,t been near the ground in yonks.i speak with those who turn up,.im not negative im a realist read neil ashton yesterday,s sun.today martin sammuels.anyhow i would like u to ignore my views in the future,and answer others.im not intersted in u armchair prognosis.as i said untill u go to a match.do not judge us that do,because u know nothing of the general mood at selhurst.now finally my comment on s.parish,s remarks is because i was within earshot-where were u.keep out of my business.

• Gordon April 16, 2019 - 1:33 pm Reply

Sorry, tzcar. I didn’t realise you were so worked up about this. I will do as you ask.

• Rob April 16, 2019 - 7:04 pm Reply

Just because you go to every match doesn’t mean you know what your talking about or are a better “supporter/fan”. Feck me how childish can you be?

Just means you have more time free to make it to the match.

I can’t make it to matches but do stream every match, so personally I think I have a better idea of how well we are playing to what your seeing pitch side. Whose right?

There’s no consensus unless you speak to all 26k fans, because their the only REAL fans because they go to the match?? But what about the other thousands who don’t frequent forums, blogs make it to matches? Our opinions worth sheite?

Either way what’s frustrating for me is on how inconsistent we have been.

• tzcar April 16, 2019 - 3:42 pm Reply

i except your appology gordon,im sure your intention are good,butyour not as close to whats going on behind the scene,s as i am.all i want is palace to do well.i hate having a go at anyone.so let,s leave it and hope steve parish can sort everything out come june.i for one have total faith in his ability.i just want palace doing well.

• Gordon April 16, 2019 - 7:42 pm Reply

Thank you, tzcar. As much as I’d like to win our argument, I’d prefer to lose it and remain on good terms with you.