Palace Looking To Shift £200,000+ Off The Wage Bill With Two Heading For The Exit

2 Posted by - April 12, 2019 - News

Reports in Belgium suggest that Crystal Palace will look to redesign their forward line over the summer, with Christian Benteke and Michy Batshuayi expected to head towards the exit door.

With the Eagles known to be spending a huge amount of their turnover on the weekly wages of their first-team stars, the combined figure of £235,000 a week for Benteke and Batshuayi could go a hell of a long way if invested sensibly over the summer. Whilst you can never be sure of the club uncovering hidden gems, it would at least give us some significant wriggle room and with just two league goals between them in 22 league appearances, it wouldn’t take a lot to replace their tangible impact on Roy Hodgson’s sure.

There are some suggestions that Benteke will look to run down his lucrative contract in SE25 rather than seeking a fresh challenge elsewhere but in Batshuayi’s case, with his loan from Chelsea set to come to an end in a matter of weeks, he’s being met with the realisation that Steve Parish isn’t currently willing to stump up the high fee Sarri and co. are demanding to take him off their hands permanently, leaving his career in a familiar state of limbo.

Whilst I can certainly see the upside of losing such a large amount of money from the wage bill, it would leave us with just Connor Wickham and Alexander Sørloth on our books as out-and-our strikers, meaning a busy summer in the market for Dougie Freedman and the scouting network.

Would you prefer us to stick or twist with Benteke? Does anyone see logic in splashing the extortionate asking price on Batshuayi? Who would you prioritise as a new arrival in neither man stay put? There are plenty of questions and for now, very few answers.

• Mark April 12, 2019 - 9:52 am Reply

Much as I would love to see batman back, it makes more sense to lose both of them from a financial perspective.
    It also means that unless we uncover a gem, next season is going to see us hover around the 14-17th area of places again.
    Still, would we really enjoy a season of mid table mediocrity, or to have the highs and lows like this season?

• Ben April 12, 2019 - 10:40 am Reply

I was really excited when I heard the bat was coming but must say, to date I’ve been pretty underwhelmed with him. He’s had a bit of a run in the starting 11 but I’d had higher hopes for him. What he has done though is improve Benteke’s play. Although he hasn’t scored, his hold up play has greatly improved and has made a good impact coming off the bench. Unless there’s a huge turnaround with the bat, I think it makes sense to let him go but has he proved that Benteke needs the competition around him to improve his focus. My opinion is let the bat go but bring in someone who’s going to put pressure on Benteke for his place. I don’t think the club have much of a choice with Benteke ‘s contract and trying to get someone to pay decent money for him. The only thing that could change is if the bat is willing to take a pay cut and Chelsea let him go cheap. Can’t see that happening at all.

• Caroline TOO April 12, 2019 - 12:06 pm Reply

We can sell Benteke for an apparent loss, but still make money given ‘depreciation’ on his book value as his contract moves towards an end. Will he move? I’m afraid that we’ve been done over by Liverpool on a couple of occasions now. Sakho may well be worth the huge fee and salary, and Benteke was probably important to our surviving in the premier league during his first year, so maybe he doesn’t owe us either, but both have been more expensive than we could afford (maybe the new stand will earn us enough?) So, we do need someone who will score goals.. Benteke’s miss against Newcastle was pretty sad.

That said, I’m not sure that the problem is purely with our strikers. (a) so many of our missed goals are from outside the box, we seem to shoot on sight rather than creating simpler, close range chances and (b) are we playing to Benteke’s strengths… I have to go with what I see on TV, but I can’t remember many crosses for him to head over the last year (am I wrong there?)

We are missing Loftus-Cheek and Cabaye this year….last year with L-C, Wilf and Andros we seemed to be able to keep possession around the opposition’s penalty area… that doesn’t seem to be the case this year… You guys who see the whole game every week will know better of course.

• Rhys Jones April 12, 2019 - 12:37 pm Reply

Can I make another suggestion? What about bringing in a forwards coach? If we have one, get a new one! It may mean we start to get the best out of the players we have, they may help with how we create chances as well as the finishing. Just a thought but it has to be the cheapest option that could yield the biggest result?

• TonyN April 12, 2019 - 3:13 pm Reply

Not being funny but I wonder if we will ever seen Wickham put in even half a season? Benteke isn’t going to take the type of pay cut that would see him move. The only hope would be China coming in for him. Sorloth seems to be doing okay in Ghent but not sure if he will ever reach the level we need. As to the Bat the transfer fee would make your eyes water so unless we cash in on Wilf and Aaron not a hope we will make an offer.

We might be able to find a young talent but look how hard it is for Max to settle into the league. Part may be Roy playing safe but rather that than bricking about staying up. So do we look at South America and hope to bring in a young talent or focus on an older striker to hold the line while we look to push on in a season or two?

Realistically young talent is hit and miss, how many failed Messi’s did it take to find that gem? We could probably pay for five youngsters and have change for a big name’s salary.

• Colin April 12, 2019 - 5:08 pm Reply

First of all – excellent comments above and I can’t improve on them. I have thought about the quality of the coaching for our forwards. We create a lot of chances at times but look awful actually in front of goal. As suggested above, we may do best to invest in a good forward coach.

• tzcar April 13, 2019 - 8:25 am Reply

good report.the tactics used by rh do nothing to assist the strike force.that said i would tell benteke move,or your,l spend the season in the reserves.sorloth no way.wickham,sorry we,ve carried him for years,we cannot afford the sentimemt.clearly his body can,t cope,shame really.but your all missing the real problem.palace are over 34 million in the red.so the only way is to remove want,s not doing the job and find cheaper options.che evans at birmingham for example.i really feel for parish.the new stand,the budget is tight,i hope he has a path to steer us through,but i belive in his business sense,and love for our club.

• Gordon April 14, 2019 - 4:10 pm Reply

Good debate.
    But can the reason for our striker problem simply be put down to bad coaching? Makes me question why we pay the players so much if they need to be told how to do their jobs. Tactics – yes. Strategy – yes. But surely it would be a very sorry situation if a player on a huge salary has to be micro-managed.
    i agree with tzcar. We must let Connor Wickham go. He is, I think, one of those very sad cases where the body won’t physically support its skill.
    But Ched Evans? This raises a whole lot issues I don’t want to get into. So I’ll reserve judgement on this one.

• Gordon April 14, 2019 - 4:45 pm Reply

Sorry, tzcar. I misread/understood your post. Che Adams not Ched Evans! My mistake.