Hodgson: “FA Cup Was An Added Bonus” – I Can’t Help But Roll My Eyes

0 Posted by - March 18, 2019 - News

For Palace fans, Saturday’s FA Cup Quarter-Final was seen as a golden opportunity for a highly-prized trip to Wembley but speaking after the defeat, boss Roy Hodgson was quoted as saying that the cup had always been an “added bonus” for the club.

With Premier League football now taking an enforced break thanks to a round of international fixtures, the players and coaching staff will take three or four days off before returning to training to prepare for a must-win game at home to Huddersfield Town. Had we performed to anything like the level we’re capable of throughout the 2018/19 campaign, our top flight status would be all but mathematically secured but instead we find ourselves looking nervously over our shoulders and explaining away a feeble FA Cup Quarter-Final showing because of it.

Hodgson may not be wrong in describing the weekly grind of the Premier League as the club’s bread and butter but it doesn’t take away from the fact that in our sixth consecutive season at English football’s top table, supporters would like to see the club aiming for a little bit more than mere survival and a shrug of the shoulders after limply exiting the FA Cup in the last eight.

You only need to look at Saturday’s opponents Watford to see why feelings of envy are bubbling up amongst our fan-base. Promoted more recently than us, the Hornets are comfortably outperforming Palace in the league, have beaten us on all three occasions we’ve met this term and are now set for a Wembley appearance, all whilst spending a significantly lower amount on transfers and wages.

Whilst football is far from a simple science, the suggestion that mere survival in the Premier League is good enough given the outlay on wages we as a club have spent over the last six years feels like excuse making. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of ambition, Steve Parish himself has previously asked supporters to heighten their expectations; now it’s up to the players and management staff to fulfil those hopes.

• Steve. March 18, 2019 - 7:52 am Reply

Yep…I must admit having been a supporter of Roy in terms of yearning stability for the Club…it now does rankle that with the squad we have got it has somewhat underperformed and not helped by the uninspiring tactical approach at times. I thought Saturdays line up was a good one considering the injuries. But the tactics left a lot to be desired in terms of grasping the initiative when we levelled.
    We’re better than this Roy…have some bottle..surprise the opposition.. surprise the supporters for goodness sake, try something different !

• tzcar March 18, 2019 - 8:05 am Reply

as i said rh is now being found out.the fan,s arn,t fools.your prognosis is spot on.things must change,now.

• Mike Ward March 18, 2019 - 9:15 am Reply

In the aftermath of Allardayce and De Boer we all wanted stability.
    Roy performed miracles keeping us up and getting the squad to feel like a group that was working together again.
    I love Roy and what he has done.

However, I’m inclined to agree that he may not be the manager to take the club to the next level.
    It sounds ridiculous saying what when you look at what he has done at other clubs throughout his career.
    I am also nervous because we don’t exactly have a great track record with managers.
    I’m sure we would all love to have someone be at the club for many years and really building the foundations for the long term. But any new manager coming in is always a huge risk. There are so many factors.

I think we might see one more season with Roy before we find a new manager.
    Personally I could accept that although I know others would rather see a change this summer.
    Of course we can’t really make much of a move either way until we know what league we are playing in.
    Maybe we should just hang on until Gareth Southgate is ready to come back?
    🙂

• Gordon March 18, 2019 - 9:47 am Reply

Imo performances have been generally good & sometimes very good. Admittedly results haven’t been as good as our performances havve deserved especially in the earlier part of the season, but I’m sure the outlook will be more positive when we begin to get our fair share of good fortune as we surely will.
    I see RH as not just a safe pair of hands but someone who can bring stability to the club whilst gradually strengthening our squad and developing the understanding & comraderie within it. Look back just a short while and our team was disjointed and inclined to panic. Now we’re comfortable in possession and play a more sophisticated, passing game. The transition is far from complete, but it’s clear progress and with more clinical finishing we will in future years get to a position of security where we can rest players – as Watford did against Man C – in order to prioritise progression in the FA cup.
    I don’t know the comparative figures for transfer expenditure & salaries, but it should be remembered that Watford have a somewhat dubious Italian connection which allows them to import & export players without seeming to fall foul of the FFP rules.

• tzcar March 18, 2019 - 11:50 am Reply

and yet watford have discovered the blend.the mood amongst the fan,s is going towards change,this cannot be ignored,the fan,s are not fools.they see what,s going on in front of them.secondly rh is making 2 many excuses these days.to me he seems tired,mentally tired.maybe at 71 this really is becoming a grind.

• Gordon March 18, 2019 - 1:16 pm Reply

Admittedly, Watford are doing surprisingly well this season. But next season might be totally different of course and their managerial merry go round might start spinning again. Only the top 6 seem to be immune from huge swings in fortune and some clubs only fairly recently in Watford’s position have since dropped through the trap door.
    We’re making steady progress under RH, who naturally looks & sounds frustrated when interviewed after a disappointing result but certainly doesn’t strike me as being in any way tired. He seems to be as passionate & enthusiastic about the game as ever. I suppose when you’re 71 and still managing at the top level you have to get used to age-related criticism and I think he bears it extremely well.

• tzcar March 18, 2019 - 2:39 pm Reply

sorry gordon this is notv true.we have made no progress,we are stuck.with thisc squad we should be up there with west-ham.i hate to say this but i belive roy has taken us as far as this stage.also last season,and early this season finding excuses,tells me roy has run out of gas.

• Gordon March 19, 2019 - 11:13 am Reply

Obviously you’re entitled to your view, tzcar and I like to read what you say, but we’ll have to agree to differ on this point. It’s all about opinions and mine is that RH is doing fine. Clearly he won’t be around for much more than another season or two, but I can’t think of anyone capable of developing a more stable base for his successor. It’s all too easy to think that the grass is greener, but I don’t think it is. I’m grateful for what we’ve got – a manager with a wealth of experience and a sound track record, a squad that’s clearly well-motivated & continuing to develop, and a style of play that’s improving. I wouldn’t want to risk losing that just now.

• Rob March 18, 2019 - 9:21 pm Reply

So you get rid of Hodgson and who takes over? Puel? Paul Scholes? Mourinho? Ranieri?

My only beef with him has been when his made subs.