Does This Photo Back Up Wayne Hennessey’s Claim Of Innonence Over “Nazi” Controversy?

2 Posted by - January 7, 2019 - News

On Saturday evening, Wayne Hennessey and his Crystal Palace teammates went out for a group meal following their 1-0 win over Grimsby Town in the Third Round of the FA Cup. During the evening, a photo of the squad was taken with Wayne Hennessey seen in the back left appearing to make an inappropriate gesture.

As you would expect, the image was quickly circulated across social media with numerous journalists raising questions over whether or not the Wales keeper had intentionally saluted whilst the photo was being taken, prompting Wayne himself to release a statement protesting his innocence. From a personal perspective, it’s incredibly difficult to see how he could make such a gesture freely without realising its obvious connotations but given the storm it created, it’s no surprise that Hennessey felt the need to offer up some sort of explanation.

This morning, another photo has been doing the rounds on Twitter of Wayne mid-match doing a very similar thing whilst trying to get the attention of one of Palace’s defenders, casting doubt over whether or not it’s just the way he (admittedly extremely naively) shouts. As is often the case with these things, it has generated more questions than answers in my mind. Why would a keeper cover his mouth in such a manner when trying to project their voice? Why would you simultaneously put your arm in the air when it’s obvious how it looks? Why would you randomly do a Nazi salute partway through a game against random opposition? It’s a truly confusing situation that is only likely to become more muddied as time goes on.

Part of me wonders whether or not Hennessey would have been better served not coming up with an excuse at all, as I’m sure you’ll agree, his explanation seems ridiculous to say the least but if and it of course remains a gigantic IF, he had no intention of doing a Nazi salute, it’s to be expected that he would feel the need to put his side of the story across.

The long and short of it in my mind is this. If he did mean to do it in the name of “banter” it’s both disgusting and idiotic to the extreme. If he didn’t, failing to show enough foresight to realise how it would be construed is still incredibly stupid on his part.

• Jim January 7, 2019 - 11:20 am Reply

Over reaction on your part as well as the media in general.. idiotic yes but disgusting ? Not surprised by the reaction though.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:06 pm Reply

As someone with Jewish ancestry, I have no hesitation in saying that IF it was intentional, it’s a disgrace. If you disagree with my perspective, it’s entirely your choice but having seen how much the Second World War impacted my family, I find “jokes” of this nature hugely offensive.

• Eaglecoops January 7, 2019 - 12:13 pm Reply

You are better than giving oxygen to this click bait waste of everyone’s time story Hoppo.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:05 pm Reply

• Oscar Fox January 7, 2019 - 12:15 pm Reply

What an over-reaction by everybody. An entirely innocent placement of limbs requiring no explanation at all. Move on, nothing to see here.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:05 pm Reply

• Iain January 7, 2019 - 12:40 pm Reply

As always with this sort of incident, lying about it prolongs the agony and makes matters worse. Admitting the mistake and apologising kills the story.
    Whoever advises him is as big an idiot as Wayne.

• Billy January 7, 2019 - 1:18 pm Reply

Mountain out of a molehill. Clickbait.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:06 pm Reply

Clickbait would require there to be some sort of monetary benefit for me writing the piece, which, given the lack of any adverts on HLTCO isn’t the case.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh January 7, 2019 - 1:28 pm Reply

Well done for covering this Hoppo, as someone who no doubt has some connection to those in SE25 (Parrish et.al. follow you) you haven’t allowed yourself to be compromised by a very negative story about the club/Hennessey.

My view is that the game day photo is completely different to the meal photo. Players often cover their mouths whilst playing so cameras cannot pick up on any foul language and opposition analysts can’t pick up on any tactical instructions. As you say, how do you carry your voice whilst muffling yourself?

Regarding the meal, it was probably just banter, maybe misplaced after a few drinks. Whilst that does not condone the behaviour it does slightly mitigate it. I would much prefer a person to own up, admit it was stupid and say they will undergo some awareness training about how such things can be offensive to anyone with personal nexus to the Holocaust/far right discrimination (of which i believe HLTCO is).

Anyone saying it is clickbait/snowflakey is wrong. There is no place for this in today’s society, even if it wasn’t Wayne’s intention to offend. I’m sure most managers say that nights out are fine so long as it doesn’t make the papers. Lesson of the story: keep the Nazi banter for when the camera is away.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:13 pm Reply

Really appreciate this reply JFB, glad to see I’m not pissing in the wind.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh January 7, 2019 - 1:32 pm Reply

And people who say it isn’t disgusting. Football fans regularly say performances, player wages, player attitudes, club owners etc. etc. are disgusting and demand apologies from them in post-match reactionary mode.

• Eaglecoops January 7, 2019 - 1:40 pm Reply

Oh dear, the PC police are out in force again. I guess you would want every comedian who ever walked the planet arrested as well?

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh January 7, 2019 - 2:40 pm Reply

Oh dear, a Piers Morgan acolyte trying to be incendiary on a sensitive issue. Enjoy your 100% sausage roll, fella.

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:04 pm Reply

• Jose Fonte, baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh January 7, 2019 - 4:08 pm Reply

No problem HLTCO. The reason racism, anti-semitisam and other such bigotry is back on the rise is because too many people turn a blind eye and play the snowflake card.

I think a lot of people forget the battles faced by previous generations against discrimination issues as a kind of golden age thinking. Whilst I wasn’t in around in the 40s/50s/60s/70s/80s I imagine life for people who were foreign/gay/non-white/non-Christian found life very tough.

Whilst Wayne is by no means a contributor to the rise of the far right his behaviour is still unacceptable and is a poor representation of the club.

People will say it’s PC gone mad but those people overwhelmingly come from a background that hasn’t been subjected to discrimination or hate crime.

• Ridiculous January 7, 2019 - 1:41 pm Reply

Banter between him and max if max had taken offence he wouldn’t have circulated it on his account, I do business with Germans more then which take great joy in doing hitler impressions which can be quite vocal, but hilarious, thank god they haven’t attempted it in Germany in case anyone forgot we are in England , let’s get on with staying up shall we

• admin January 7, 2019 - 3:04 pm Reply

• Phil H January 7, 2019 - 3:50 pm Reply

The problem with saying there is no problem is that some of these players are paid for their image rights as a separate item of income from their player’s wages.

A player’s image is therefore a valuable asset not only to the player but also to the club. No brand wants to be associated in any way with nazism.

To me it looks like a nazi salute. If it is then WH should have just come out and apologised. Said it was a misjudgment and not intended to offend MM or anyone else. Lesson learnt.

If it wasn’t a nazi salute then WH does have the right to defend himself, but personally I find his defence implausible.

In a climate where jews feel unsafe in the UK and anti-semitism is rearing its head in UK and Europe WH should have been mindful of the potential for offence.

• Gordon January 11, 2019 - 11:12 pm Reply

To answer your question, Dan, NO – this picture doesn’t back up Wayne’s denial. In fact, I don’t think it has any bearing on the issue.
    First , let me make it clear that, to my knowledge, none of my family have suffered racial, religious or any other abuse within living memory. How lucky we are. But my father in law, Roy, was amongst the guys who liberated Belson and, not surprisingly, it had a lasting impression on him. Some Second World War servicemen with emotional scars kept their experiences to themselves. I was pleased that Roy shared his experiences with his family. We should never forget the terrible attitudes that our forbears were manipulated into applying to their fellow human beings.
    I say “our” because it couldn’t and shouldn’t be dismissed as being another nationality’s problem. It was wider than that. As far as I can see there was no national moral superiority. At different times in history, people have sought to denigrate and dehumanise different races or religions in order to deflect some sort of social or political dissatisfaction. It’s still happening today.
    BUT, if Wayne made a Nazi salute, he was an absolute fool and should have apologised as soon as he had sobered up. As for his explanation, Dan might not accept, it, I might find it difficult to believe, but, at the end of the day, Wayne has said the pictures were misconstrued. I have no reason to misbelieve him so that’s the end of the matter as far as I’m concerned.