Hodgson On New Striker Hopes After Solanke Deal Falls Through

1 Posted by - January 3, 2019 - News

Yesterday evening, Crystal Palace fans discovered the reasons behind the club’s decision to pull out of a loan deal for Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke but speaking after his side’s 2-0 win away at Wolves, Roy Hodgson was open enough to admit that he’s still hopeful of Steve Parish and Dougie Freedman securing him some attacking reinforcements this January.

Whilst our trip to Molineux was topped off by Jordan Ayew grabbing his first goal in red and blue, the club’s lack of goalscorers has been a constant theme throughout the 2018/19 season so far; a problem which has led the gaffer to use Wilfried Zaha as a makeshift lone striker on more occasions than anyone would deem ideal.

Although both Connor Wickham and Christian Benteke are now both on the verge of returning to full fitness, the struggles of both Jordan Ayew and Alexander Sørloth (who is being cautiously tipped to leave SE25 this month) have left Palace looking worryingly toothless in the final third, making the arrival of a proven finisher the most pressing order of transfer business in south London as we speak.

Admittedly, back to back away wins against Manchester City and Wolves with five goals being scored has eased the pressure on Roy and his coaching staff significantly but even so, if we as a club are keen to enjoy a relatively stress-free second half of the season, the introduction of some attacking potency would go a long way to solving our current problems.

With eight clean sheets to their name this term, Palace sit fourth behind just Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham on that front; a tally which highlights the potential that exists within the side, should we be able to secure another 10 to 12 goals between now and May. Who that man is remains something of a guessing game but it’s good to know that Palace aren’t giving up after their issues with Solanke.

HLTCO has no adverts, we cannot survive without your help.

3 Comments

  • Gordon January 3, 2019 - 10:23 am Reply

    I prefer this report to what the BBC reported yesterday:

    After his side’s 2-0 victory over Wolves on Wednesday, Hodgson said: “It’s a shame in many ways, we did have a genuine interest but the club has made a decision that it’s not going to work out on this occasion.

    “He’s a fine player and I accept in this instance the club has made a decision it wasn’t the right moment to do this deal and we will work with what we have.”

  • Eaglecoops January 3, 2019 - 11:04 am Reply

    If he’s injured then we dodged a bullet because if he could only play for half of half a season then he would not justify his salary. You have to rememberRoy introduces newbies slowly into his sides so you could see Solanke not even appearing until March! Roy has probably said thanks but no thanks.

  • Eric The Ninja January 3, 2019 - 4:32 pm Reply

    Klopp was always going to milk us for a massive loan fee as well. He hates us.

  • Leave a reply