Hodgson: “We May Not Buy In January, There Was No Money In The Summer”

17 Posted by - November 12, 2018 - News

Roy Hodgson has played down talk of Palace spending on new recruits in the January transfer window following the Eagles’ loss at home to Tottenham, saying that despite what is a small squad, he has no idea if there will be money made available to him in the New Year.

Whilst the club is being forced to deal with the long-term absence of Christian Benteke and Connor Wickham, there is surely no denial at boardroom level over the need for us to add some extra firepower heading into the second half of the season, making Hodgson’s comments here all the more disheartening.

Having seen the gaffer use Wilfried Zaha and Andros Townsend as a makeshift front two, give Jordan Ayew a run as a lone striker and throw Alexander Sørloth into the mix at semi-regular intervals, there is no doubt from those watching on in the stands that we’re woefully understrength at the head of the side, leading to genuine concerns for our Premier League safety unless something is done in January.

We could and by the sounds of it probably will, place all of our hope in Benteke and Wickham retuning from the treatment table to fire us to safety between January and May but you can’t blame any supporters for having little to no faith in that plan coming to fruition, given the evidence provided in the last 12 months from either man.

Yes, the club laid out some £40 million on the pair and continue to pay their extremely generous wage packets despite receiving next to no tangible reward in return but as supporters, it’s hard to watch the side slide towards relegation knowing that little is likely to be done during the upcoming window to rectify the problems staring us all in the face.

Financial Fair Play has been a hot topic throughout football over the last month or so and Palace are quite right to be concerned over the consequences of breaking the rules but it doesn’t make it any easier for fans to hear that there is little chance of a move being made for a goal-scorer in the window that’s now just around the corner.

This campaign has felt like a long, hard slog already and it’s not even Christmas yet.

• tzcar November 12, 2018 - 8:42 am Reply

no striker in january then we,ll be playing fulham and millwall, following saeason.i thought only southampton were on a suicide mission.fair play,right.we have alot of deadwood.reidwald,puncheon etc.get rid in january,make space,or it,s over.why should our great fan,s be continually betrayed by boardroom fuck-ups.january buy or were dead in the water,it,s as simple as that.

• Chip November 12, 2018 - 8:48 am Reply

The way Roy puts it seems to imply that he doesn’t actually talk to Steve Parish much which is a worry.

• A tarrant November 12, 2018 - 12:13 pm Reply

If the board don’t buy we are down and the revenue lost will be far higher than the 20 or 30 million spent so get your head out of the sand and do something

• Eric The Ninja November 12, 2018 - 10:00 pm Reply

After Sorloth’s miss I’m concerned he’s lacking the confidence he needs. He’d probably be worth loaning out to the championship where he’ll get games and develop. Ayew can’t play striker in a 4-4-2, maybe if we switched back to the old 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 he might prosper a bit more switching with Wilf and Andros but there’s more chance of us signing Ronaldo than Roy changing formations. If we can’t get Wickham fit, maybe throw Francis Jno Baptiste in the lion’s den and pray he’s half as good as AWB. It’s early days but I’m worried the squad is thin in key areas. We’re struggling a bit but if we lose Sahko or Tomkins for any length of time we’re in trouble.

• Robert Lycett November 13, 2018 - 8:53 am Reply

We’ll, I hope Wickham and Benteke are emptying the bins, making the tea or at least licking the envelopes in the office!
    For some, the usual lack of progress is almost reassuring.
    Still to see a win at Selhurst Park (I won’t say at ‘home’ because I don’t think the players know what that means).
    Why would we assume as Palace supporters that the team might over achieve?
    I lived in Thornton Heath as a young lad and my mum took me to see them play in the late 60s. We moved to Dover the year they were promoted to the old Division 1 (just my luck) and my Xmas and birthday present was a season ticket and a monthly trip on the train to see them play (if I behaved). They didn’t bloody ever win at home then! God knows how many matches I watched (5-3 loss to Man U… George Best, Bobby Charlton and the likes, mind you; 3-3 draw with Wolves…I could go on and on…) before I saw them win at home (can’t remember who they beat!).
    It all does seem so familiar, they’d beat or draw with on of the ‘big clubs’ and then lose to at home to someone beatable.
    Goal scoring dilemma isn’t anything new either (don’t worry, won’t go down memory lane with this one… AHH Gerry Queen!).
    Palace need ‘Palace players’; they get what what Palace are all about! Murray, if you were to cut a cross section through him would have read ‘Crystal Palace’… He’s now Brighton Rock!
    Oh the bitter irony!
    Cut through Wickham and Benteke and all you will find is hollowness!
    Zaha and Townsend I think, are ‘Palace people’ but their not enough to keep us up!
    I now live just outside Swansea and I’m witnessing a club trying to hold it altogether. Went to see Palace Vs Swans recently in the League Cup (or whatever it’s bloody called now)…will I see them play again in the Championship next season?

• Eric The Ninja November 13, 2018 - 1:32 pm Reply

Great words and I agree with most of it. It is familiar. God I miss Murray. It’s so weird seeing him score in a Brighton shirt, watching someone you love do something you hate.