REPORT: Barcelona Battling Palace & Fulham For January Transfer Target

0 Posted by - October 18, 2018 - News

Former Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic has emerged as a potential January transfer target for Crystal Palace according to a report in yesterday’s Daily Mail.

Now 34, you could be forgiven for thinking that the former Blues defender is well past his prime but the current campaign has seen him in fine form for Zenit St Petersburg, fuelling speculation over a potential return to London with either ourselves or Fulham.

The Mail’s headline makes reference to possible January interest in the Serbian from Barcelona of all places, as they scour the market for potential short-term cover to replace the injured Samuel Umtiti. It goes without saying that serious interest from the Catalan giants would blow both ourselves and Fulham out of the water but for now, the whole thing is nothing more than speculation.

Whilst comparisons between the Russian Premier League and our own division are full of holes to pick at, the 34-year-old has certainly been an imposing presence this term. He has so far notched up 7 tackles, 18 interceptions, 37 clearances and 11 blocks whilst taking part in all 900 minutes of Zenit’s league campaign to date. Yes, he is getting on in years but with Scott Dann still tentatively recovering from a ligament injury, a short-term move for Milivojevic’s international teammate may well have some legs in Roy Hodgson’s mind.

This story really has come out of nowhere, leading me to wonder if it’s just a case of the paper looking at the defender’s previous life in London and joining a set of invisible dots in the search for traffic but until the story is unequivocally denied, it’ll generate interest from readers. Part of me is fed up with the idea of signing ageing former stars with no re-sale value but given our recent struggles, it’s fair to say that our only target should be retaining a place in the Premier League beyond May.

Would you be happy to take Ivanovic on a short-term basis?

• Eaglecoops October 18, 2018 - 7:10 am Reply

No, no, no. Zero pace found him out. The way forward is players like AWB. Pace is everything in the modern game. I’d rather go for Usain Bolt!

• Gordon October 18, 2018 - 4:58 pm Reply

Agree 100%. – well, about Ivanovic (not Bolt!)

• tzcar October 18, 2018 - 7:32 am Reply

facinating story. and gordon i did not advocate rh dismissal.but i live in the real world.and 5-6 defeats is ite possible against teams much better than us.and this in turn would put us in a bottom 3.how u can advocate mcarthur and milovich together,considering neither is playing well.and lot,s of online fans are saying the same.these 2 ain,t playing well.of course i want palace to do well,but rh has made alot of mistakes,and half the team have not turned up this season.and surely i have a right to question,why this lot are misfiring .

• Gordon October 18, 2018 - 5:24 pm Reply

Yes, we’ve got a series of tough matches facing us. The toughest match so far (on paper) I would argue was Liverpool and nobody can deny that we played well and were unfortunate to lose.
      I know you didn’t start the Roy will be sacked thread, tzcar. But you’re keeping it alive.
      What is the real world? My real world is what I would call balanced. Seeing the good and the bad. I don’t spring from ecstasy (the non-narcotic version) to despair, but prefer to evaluate performances calmly. I see things not just in black and white but with the shades that lie in between.
      Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I should be more monochrome in my outlook. Maybe I should be more pessimistic & more inclined to panic. But that’s not me. I see a lot of positives about our squad, our management and our future. You may disagree, but that’s how I see things.

• Gordon October 18, 2018 - 11:33 pm Reply

Tzcar – please ignore my “non-narcotic” comment. Thought it was witty at the time, but regretted it afterwards.

• tzcar October 19, 2018 - 7:11 am Reply

gordon im not a pessamist but a realist.if this had been a workshop business would u really be thinking this way.i love your individual views.all im saying isrh does seem to be on the ball,and things appear to be on the slide.this is my club and through all the pain,ive never wavered my support.i just feel he,s not doing things right.you know i,d love to be wrong.and if i am i,ll be shouting out loud.

• Gordon October 19, 2018 - 6:03 pm

Appreciate your post, tzcar. Really appreciate your views. At the end of the day, were both committed supporters. Different outlooks – but looking for the same outcome, I’m sure.
            Keep sharing your concerned/worried outlook & I’ll keep sharing my upbeat/confident outlook.
            Time will tell who’s right.

• Eric The Ninja October 18, 2018 - 9:54 am Reply