Palace Fans Were Calling For Max Meyer To Start – So How Did He Do?

2 Posted by - October 2, 2018 - Daily Thoughts, News

Prior to last night’s game against Bournemouth Palace’s German international Max Meyer had failed to start a single Premier League game in red and blue but after being thrown into the starting XI by Roy Hodgson at Dean Court, how did the 23-year-old get on?

It goes without saying that the result itself was far from satisfactory for Max and his teammates, given the late penalty Mike Dean awarded following an inexplicable elbow from Mamadou Sakho but on an individual level, there were plenty of things to be positive about for the former Schalke man.

Deployed as part of a three-man central midfield alongside Luka Milivojevic and James McArthur, I had hoped to see Max used as a purely attacking threat behind the front three of Zaha, Townsend and Jordan Ayew but throughout the first half, it was difficult to judge exactly where the gaffer had told him to sit. There was one shot hit straight at Begovic from the edge of the penalty area in the opening 45 but for the most part, he floated across the park without managing to cause too many problems for the Cherries.

I should stress, his inability to make a tangible impact in the final third didn’t render him any less impressive in possession; indeed he managed to complete 53 of the 55 passes he attempted over the course of his 84 minutes of the pitch, with his 96% pass completion comfortably the highest of any player from either side. At half-time, I called for Max to be pushed higher with McArthur dropping in to cover and in spells, he did seem to be probing the Bournemouth back-line more in the second period.

In truth, the whole side emerged from the dressing room with a renewed sense of purpose after a lacklustre opening half and were rewarded when Patrick van Aanholt rocketed us level after 55 minutes. There was nothing anyone other than Sakho could have done about the penalty which won the game for the hosts but I doubt I’m alone in feeling as though Meyer’s name should be one of the first on the team-sheet when Wolves visit SE25 this weekend.

I get the impression Hodgson is jarred by the lack of size we have in the middle when Meyer, McArthur and Milivojevic are playing, with the physical power of Kouyate acting as a looming presence from the bench but against a side as technically proficient as Nuno Espírito Santo’s newly-promoted Wolves, it feels as though we’ll need to be at the top of our game to match them, regardless of home advantage.

Trust in Meyer, he’s got all the tools to help unlock teams when used correctly.

• Sharpy October 2, 2018 - 8:57 am Reply

Who ever plays get ready for a thumping this weekend. I so hope I’m wrong

• Ben October 2, 2018 - 9:36 am Reply

Was a bit worried where you were going with this at first but pleased to see where you ended up. I agree that Meyer should be in the starting 11 on Saturday. I thought he went well for his first start and will improve from here if allowed an extended run in the starting 11.

• Gordon October 2, 2018 - 10:15 am Reply

For me, Meyer’s performance was encouraging. He’s an exceptional talent and he just might give opponents more than Wilf to worry about.
    His composure on the ball, his movement around the pitch, his ability to keep possession, change pace & switch direction at the drop of a hat all impressed me. He earned us time to build attacks & his link-up play was excellent. I’d be hugely disappointed if he isn’t a regular starter now.
    Elsewhere people have questioned if signing Loftus-Cheek (if we get an opportunity in January) would limit the chances of Meyer playing. I could see the two of them working really well together in front of Milivojevic. Kouyate (who it seems to me was only bought because we were unable to land Loftus-Cheek) & MacArthur would be players to give way and provide cover.
    Agree that Wolves is going to be a stern test.

• tzcar October 2, 2018 - 2:53 pm Reply

playing the way palace arn,t playing.is likely to result in hodgson finally waking up to the fact.we have some fringe players but very few actual talented men for the job.although it is now plain to see.meyer must be allowed to fulfill the cabaye roll.this is not a good team and unless zaha shines it really shows up.

• Help October 3, 2018 - 6:17 am Reply

It’s now completely obvious McArthur pushes on 2 much Luke far far too deep Townsend ineffective wide right
    Play max Kouyate Luke McArthur
    Zaha Townsend
    In a 442
    Second I was amazed he didn’t switch to 442 it was obvious with Zaha and Townsend not tracking back
    I’ve always said some games 433 some 442 some games both wake up Hodgson , no excuses Roy for not getting the team up for it from the first kick and why is our passing now shocking all of a sudden wake up Roy

• Help October 3, 2018 - 6:27 am Reply

Btw
    Shlupp on Sørloth on max off when we had momentum do me a favour !!!!!
    Ayew terrible but at least comes deep for the ball sod off just stands there as 4 schlupp he can’t play anywhere apart from left back total rubbish and to try and play him in a midfield 3 was Suicide wake up Roy