VIDEO: I Still Can’t See Anything Wrong With This Disallowed Palace Goal

1 Posted by - September 17, 2018 - News, Video

Crystal Palace eventually emerged from Huddersfield’s John Smith’s Stadium with all three points under their arm thanks to a Wilfried Zaha wonder-goal but the task could have been so much easier had this second-half effort been allowed to stand by referee Lee Mason.

Whilst the Eagles spent a good deal of time under the cosh from David Wagner’s Terriers, our natural counter-attacking style, coupled with an obvious threat on set-pieces always forced them to be mindful of falling two goals behind and after re-watching the above incident numerous times, I can’t spot an infraction serious enough to provoke Lee Mason into blowing his whistle and denying us that crucial two-goal cushion.

I dare say James McArthur’s run in front of goalkeeper Lössl was the reason for the stoppage but having seen it clearly from the angle above, it’s obvious that the stopper’s fall has absolutely nothing to do with James. After seeing him mistiming the flight of the ball so badly, Kouyate was left with the simple task of tapping the ball in from close-range and will no doubt be frustrated to have had his first goal in Palace colours chalked off for an invisible foul.

I’m not for a moment suggesting that Mason was keen to bring play to a halt in a bid to stop us doubling our lead but with instances like this, there is a strong argument for the introduction of VAR as soon as possible. The Premier League decided against its implementation prior to the 2018 World Cup kicking off and are now likely to be kicking themselves, given how well it went down out in Russia.

It won’t be a huge talking point from a Palace point of view, given the fact that we got all three points but had Huddersfield taken one of the numerous chances they had to level the scores, you can bet that plenty of the Palace faithful would be up in arms about the call.

The officials got it wrong at the time, that much is clear. The least the authorities can do now is ensure that VAR is brought in as soon as possible in a bid to minimise similar errors occurring in the future.

• tzcar September 17, 2018 - 7:17 am Reply

do u really think palace deserved to win let alone a 2nd goal.i thought the whole performance was shocking.apart from wilf,s magic.this 5 games on the trot palace have been very,very poor.yes they won ,but u can,t escape the poor showing.something has got to change.when u have huddersfield and cardiff both playing better football than us,that,s saying something.yes i know this is a results business.but u know i would like to be entertained,not frustrated.up next our bogie team.newcastle.i think miliovich and mcarthur are not playing well,and this ib=n turn means we cannot dictate midfield.we must see an improved performance.

• Sydenham Eagle September 17, 2018 - 8:16 am Reply

I think that’s a bit harsh. I’d rather see us perhaps not playing as well away from home, against a side who see a game against us as a possible 3 points and winning, as opposed to playing pretty well and losing or drawing. 6 points from 5 games.

I think the team we played on Sat need more time playing together. I hope they keep getting results and keep Benteke out of the team to be honest

• Ben September 17, 2018 - 8:24 am Reply

I missed the game on Saturday due to being somewhere with no wifi (it happens over here in New Zealand). I was wondering how Milovich played. I thought he had been poor in the previous 2 games at least. Was there an improvement this week? Thought McArthur had been one of our better performers in the previous few games, did he not play well on Saturday either? I’m beginning to wonder if there is something wrong in the back room if all these players are not performing or are we still to early in the season to tell?

• ee signing September 17, 2018 - 9:01 am Reply

Only if Jimmy brushed Losil when going acrosshim. Losil misjudged made the mist of something after misjudging the flight of the ball. Osddlt the Terriers man on the goal line almost loks like hes stopped as Kouyate pokes it home. Almost like he thinks he sw something we didnt. Ps there are plenty of places to discuss the quality of our performance but this one is about a disallowedgoal. BTW I now VAR was being trialled in this ame. Would be interesting to have the conlusions from that

• Mick September 17, 2018 - 10:13 am Reply

Think you are all looking at the wrong players. The Palace number 8 clearly pushes a Town player.

• admin September 17, 2018 - 12:18 pm Reply

“Clearly pushes”

That’s a stretch, Mick.

• Lawro September 20, 2018 - 2:46 pm Reply

Except the Huddersfield player is just as clearly pulling at Kouyate’s shirt. At worst they are fouling each other and given that the Huddersfield player is holding onto Kouyate’s shirt already then he’s fouling him first.

But I don’t think either is a foul. You see people pulling shirts all the time and I’m hardly convinced that Kouyate pushes him that much, he does look like he has his arms on him, but I don’t think he pushes him, he just stops the Huddersfield player just keeps going. Whatever he does it’s no more than you see in football all the time (and likely done by a Huddersfield player at another point in the game).

• Mick September 17, 2018 - 10:17 am Reply

The Town player who is pushed then makes contact with Lossl, who is then thrown off balance. Good call by who i think is a terrible referee,

• Lawro September 20, 2018 - 2:50 pm Reply

You wouldn’t happen to be a Huddersfield fan would you Mick? I know Huddersfield have a bad record when it comes to Mason. I mean bitterness would explain your reasoning behind your odd viewpoint.

I mean maybe the Huddersfield player hits Lossl, but it isn’t a big contact and football is a contact sport. If that isn’t allowed because the keeper got touched (by one of his own players!) then there may as well be a rule that no one is allowed to touch the keeper.

• tzcar September 17, 2018 - 12:19 pm Reply

yes their,s hope,finally we had new faces.no they did,nt play that well, but it does take time.my issue is,huddersfield are not a good team,but they totally bossed the second half.our midfield was crap.miliovich/mcarthur were none exsistent.to let ateam like huddersfieldtotally dominate is un-forgivable.our players with the exception of monie are much better.yes great result,but we are not playing as a team.

• Lawro September 20, 2018 - 2:59 pm Reply

I’m glad others were baffled by this. I ended up watching it 4 or 5 times on match of the day and still couldn’t work out why it wasn’t a goal. What I didn’t understand is why no one even made a reference to it. I did find one report which suggests that it was for a push on the keeper but if so that is so weak.

Bit of a left side thought though, could it be Tomkins (I think it’s Tomkins) who headers it at the back? He is leaning on the Huddersfield player? I think unlikely, but I just can’t see why it would be Jimmy