REPORT: Palace Poised To Make Permanent Bid For Everton Man

2 Posted by - August 6, 2018 - News

Yannick Bolasie was once a huge fans’ favourite at Crystal Palace and now, with Thursday’s transfer deadline fast approaching, The Guardian are reporting that the winger could well be in line for a permanent return to Selhurst Park.

The DR Congo international had high hopes for his time on Merseyside when making the £25 million switch in August of 2016 but after making a mildly impressive start to life with the Toffees, he found himself ruled out of action for a full calendar year, after damaging his cruciate knee ligaments against Manchester United in early December.

Whilst the Everton faithful remained hopeful of seeing Yala bounce back into the first-team with a bang, his performances since returning from injury have given them no reason to believe that he’s capable of dazzling in the same way he once did in red and blue, prompting new boss Marco Silva to make him available for a transfer to any interested parties. Pace was an attribute which always seemed to play a major role in Bolasie’s sky-high confidence at Palace and sadly, since his lay-off, it’s looked to me as if he’s lost a yard or two.

I’ll be the first to admit that a move for Yannick would not be my first choice but with Bakary Sako having still not been replaced since rejecting our contract offer, I can see one or two upsides to bringing into the squad for a little added depth. We were seemingly looking into a move for Swansea’s Jordan Ayew but with Jairo Riedewald believed to be refusing to go the other way in a part-exchange, doubts have been raised over our ability to fully fund the move.

Unlike when he left, Yannick would not be a guaranteed starter at Selhurst Park, were he to return. In Andros Townsend and Wilfried Zaha, Roy Hodgson has two outstanding wingers who would never be asked to step aside to accommodate Bolasie’s place in the starting XI but as a potential weapon off the bench, I have heard of worse ideas; particularly when you consider how short we are on time in the race to source a winger before the deadline passes on Thursday.

Watch this space.

• Spiceboy August 6, 2018 - 6:39 am Reply

Bolo & cheek both in on loan with Cheek having an option to buy next season. That would be a great team with some actual squad depth for once. Also the players know & like each other so great for morale unlike mensah who I heard was a disruptive player which is why he will never return. If benteke can fire this season top half finish but only if we keep zaha naturally.

• Rhys Jones August 6, 2018 - 6:47 am Reply

I’d love to see him back, even if as a squad player. He’d feel the love and I think would get closer to his true form with us. A loan deal may be perfect.

However, my fear remains the same as it was the day they said we had no money. We’ve spent £10m and whilst they never said how much money we had I would guess it wasn’t too much more, so if we start buying players this week, then I’d say Wilf is gone at the very end of the window to fund it all. I hope not as he was great again on Sat and we’ll struggle without him.

• terence carter August 6, 2018 - 6:54 am Reply

no,no,no.bolasie,would be a complete waste of money.the speed he once had is no more.his contribution to everton last season awfull.yes,i know he was coming back from injury,but i feel he,s on the slide. headline from the sun.chelsea given clear path for zaha.what path.does zaha want to go.if this is true then sell him,but let,s have l.-cheek part of the package.all this must be unsetttling wilf wether true or not.personally can,t wait for transfer window to close,so we can get with our own business.

• Spiceboy August 6, 2018 - 7:22 am Reply

Terence we never said buy Bolo I think our spending money is gone just a loan he would add to morale and I think feeling truly loved by the palace faithful would bring out his game more. Our medical staff would assess him before he signed on loan so at least we would know he was over the injury. Cheek with an option to buy would be the greatest move by the board ever as we always over pay for players we have on loan. Come on Bolo & Cheek you both know your red & blue

• Gordon August 6, 2018 - 8:50 am Reply

It was good business to sell Bolasie for big bucks when we did as he was probably at or past his peak then. To sell him, Everton would virtually have to give him away now. The article makes clear they’re wanting to sell or loan out they’re under-performing high earners. I don’t see why we should help them out – especially since our wage bill is already so high.
      I have great memories of Bolasie in red & blue, but they’re history now. Let’s move on.

• Ben August 6, 2018 - 7:31 am Reply

I’ve only seen the highlights of Saturday’s game but couldn’t help noticing that when Wilf scored he didn’t run over to the fans as he normally does. He turned around back upfield. Am I reading to much into this?

• Gordon August 6, 2018 - 8:35 am Reply

I thought Wilf turned to McArthur to recognise his part in making that goal. Have to admit though it wasn’t his most ecstatic celebration.
      Nevertheless, I don’t believe Wilf would want away at this stage just before the start of the season & with the prospect of playing in potentially the most exciting attacking midfield outside the top 6. He must know that in a top 6 side he wouldn’t be guaranteed a place in the starting lineup and would be unlikely to have the freedom to express himself that he has with us. Hodgson has rubbished the media speculation. Andros has rubbished the speculation about him. It’s just scummy newspapers printing rubbish.

• Ben August 6, 2018 - 9:08 am Reply

Thanks Gordon

• Tristan Harvey August 6, 2018 - 7:36 am Reply

As much as I would like to see yala back, remember we have kaikai and lokilo who have both preformed well during this preseason. Maybe it’s time palace as a club gave these boy more of an opportunity I stead of looking to buy in. We have some very talented academy prospects, they can’t shine on the big stage when we aren’t using them.

• Mike Ward August 6, 2018 - 9:08 am Reply

Wilf is not leaving at least not during this transfer window. He has said it himself.
    I think he got riled by Toulouse on Saturday but I don’t think he was celebrating his goal so much because it was only a friendly and by that stage the game was pretty flat.

Really encouraging point made in this article – when Bolasie left he was guaranteed a start when fit.
    If he came back fully fit and at the same level as before (which is unlikely by the sounds of it) he wouldn’t get into our first team. Which is a good indication of how we have strengthened our squad and team in the last couple of years.

• Concerned Eagle August 6, 2018 - 9:35 am Reply

Is this the same Bolasie that was desperate to leave us?

No thanks. Lets move on. He’s past his best.

• Eric The Ninja August 6, 2018 - 10:52 am Reply

Agree with most of you. Love Yala but it would be a waste of resources. Time for Kakai to get some games.