TWEETS: Neutrals Were Angered/Stunned By Palace Signing Max Meyer Last Night

1 Posted by - August 3, 2018 - News

Yesterday evening, Crystal Palace announced the permanent arrival of former Schalke central midfielder Max Meyer on a three-year deal, stunning football fans across Twitter in the process.

The 22-year-old had been linked with a host of top clubs following his high-profile falling out with the Bundesliga outfit over the terms of his proposed new deal but after one or two rumours, nothing concrete came to fruition.

The reluctance of some to take the plunge on the German international opened the door for Palace to charm him and with first contact believed to have been made between the Eagles and Meyer’s representatives at the start of July, it’s fair to say that this deal has been a while coming.

Despite some characteristically ridiculous figures being thrown about in relation to Max’s weekly wage by the Daily Mail yesterday morning, his actual pay packet is believed to come in at around £80,000, some £90,000 short of the initial figure floated by the traffic-obsessed charlatans who occupy desks on the rag’s sports desk.

With no transfer fee to consider, it’s a deal that makes all sorts of sense for Palace and Meyer, particularly when you consider his re-sale value at the age of just 22. Clearly, the announcement of the move got under the skin of a few, as the tweets below demonstrate, with others simply applauding the news rather than taking a cheap swipe at the Eagles’ perceived stature within the game.

It really is a gigantic coup for Crystal Palace FC to have Max Meyer on their books. If he lives up to the hype, we may well have a star on our hands.

• Spiceboy August 3, 2018 - 6:48 am Reply

Fantastic buy can’t applaud the board enough as long his wages aren’t 170k as that would truly pee off the players. Only real thing left to do now is keep wilf and perhaps add a couple of loan players for squad depth. I’m still a dreamer so am praying Cheek has a fall out with new manager before start of season. Maybe also another striker but no over priced Liverpool players please 👍

• Coops August 3, 2018 - 7:12 am Reply

I hope all the naysayers who were complaining about our transfer policy have had a massive piece of humble pie for breakfast this morning.

• The Expat Eagle August 3, 2018 - 9:47 am Reply

One swallow doesn’t make a summer.

• terence carter August 3, 2018 - 7:38 am Reply

i love the spurs fans getting irate about meyer,the sheer arrogance shines through.yes people are bitching,oh, put us in our place.meyer and zaha,may end up driving palace to a respectable top 9 finish.i have to applaud parish and company,pulling this one off.well worth the wait.i just wish we wer,nt put through the mill.i don,t see any reason why we can,t catch everton this season.one of the reported big clubs.and we are so small and insignificant.maybe now we can show the rest of them,we ain,t small.

• terence carter August 3, 2018 - 8:05 am Reply

just heard zaha wants out.well for me u don,t want to play for us then go.but if its chelsea,then we must have loftus-cheek in return.make sure the deal is right for palace,and not zaha.

• Rob August 3, 2018 - 8:12 am Reply

I agree. RLC for Zaha + £50M would make him leaving just a little but palatable.

But it could all just be paper click bait. Someone bumped into Zaha going into the barbers the other day and he told him he wasn’t going anywhere.

His looked happy enough too.

Back on subject though what a fekkin coup from the top to get Max. If he clicks with Sorloth, Zaha and Townsend we’re looking at great things 🙂

• The Expat Eagle August 3, 2018 - 9:49 am Reply

The fact you think he needs to click with Sorloth makes me wonder who you think will be playing as our striker this season.

• Sydenham Eagle August 3, 2018 - 9:38 am Reply

I think a lot of that is born out of frustration at their own transfer activity. They’re about to move into a nice big new stadium and haven’t signed anybody. The Tottenham fans would have loved to get Meyer.

• Ben August 3, 2018 - 9:12 am Reply

Terence carter, big ups on your congratulating SP and company, I know we don’t agree on everything but we can on this one. I’m impressed by your post, good on ya.

• Gordon August 3, 2018 - 9:46 am Reply

Think if zaha is not in the squad tomorrow then rumours are true and I agree swap for RLC and money to buy a good striker. Bit peeved with zaha if it is true and he’s waited until less than a week of the transfer window to go to say he wants out.

• The Expat Eagle August 3, 2018 - 9:50 am Reply

If the papers are accurate then he said it 2-3 weeks ago.

• Jason Oconnor August 3, 2018 - 9:56 am Reply

Supermax, I can hear it already. Zaha ain’t going anywhere, please stop the panty wetting!

• Bryan Hancock August 3, 2018 - 10:10 am Reply

Wow what a coup for my little old Palace. What rubbish, it is a coup, and Palace are a decent progressive club with big plans for the future. Well done Steve Parish and colleagues. Welcome Max, enjoy the very special atmosphere at Selhurst Park.

• Eric The Ninja August 3, 2018 - 11:18 am Reply

I can’t wait to see Meyer on the pitch with Wilf. Exciting. And my man Wilf is going nowhere. The mirror is the only one making the claim, if they wrote water was wet I’d double-check.

• Gordon L August 3, 2018 - 12:39 pm Reply

Agree that it seems extremely unlikely Wilf would want to leave just now with the season about to start & an upgraded squad just announced. You’d think he’d be bursting keen to see what magic he, Andros & Max can weave together.

• ee signing August 3, 2018 - 11:47 am Reply

We’ve gone where others feared to tread. This is ambition in the truest sense of the word as there is some risk involved. Cant help wondering iff this is Wilfs agent againthough if correct Meyer isnt really going to be making more than him. It is my worry that the two compete with each other rather than play with each other

• terence carter August 3, 2018 - 1:44 pm Reply

3rdly.i see riedwalde refused swansea.chance of first team football.he clearly is,nt fancied by roy,and who can blame him.would have thought ist team football better than doing a chong-lee,perenial bench warmer at best.sometimes players make no sense.and lastly on zaha,if this is a made up story,how sick can u get to be a journalist.

• Gordon August 5, 2018 - 6:10 pm Reply

Is anyone else having problems getting admin responses from Dan? Having found there’s someone else posting with the same username as me I’ve been trying to change my username for sometime now. But I can’t seem to arrange it myself and I get radio silence from Dan, whether I contact him by email or by messenger. I’ve been supporting him as a committed Patreon but can’t get any response. Dan, PLEASE advise me how to change my username.