REPORT: Max Meyer Set For Palace Medical After Positive Talks

0 Posted by - July 31, 2018 - News

After weeks of almost no concrete news regarding incoming signings at Palace, The Guardian are today reporting that German international midfielder Max Meyer is set for a medical with the club, following positive discussions about a contract in SE25.

The 22-year-old has been on Schalke’s books throughout his professional career, having joined their academy at the age of just 13. Unfortunately for both he and the club, his time with them came to an end this summer following the expiration of his contract.

It seems as though he fell out with the Schalke hierarchy after they refused to meet his lofty wage demands, resulting in a dispute which saw him banished from their training complex in April, following his public criticism of sporting director Christian Heidel.

Having been linked to clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool in recent times, plenty across the game will no doubt be a tad perplexed by the thought of him turfing up at Selhurst Park but following the departure of Frenchman Yohan Cabaye at the end of the 2017/18 campaign, Meyer feels like an obvious (and far younger) like-for-like replacement.

Whilst no one can dispute the German’s technical attributes, some will definitely be concerned about the potential for history to repeat itself in years to come, should Meyer not get his way. That said, given the lack of depth we have in the middle of the park, it’s difficult not to feel a little excited about what he could bring to Roy Hodgson’s side, should he hit the ground running.

As of yet, there has been no indication of exactly how much we’ll be paying Meyer but given his fall-out with Schalke and the wages freed up by Cabaye, Sako, Loftus-Cheek and a few others, it’s fair to assume we’ll be able to service his demands.

This is the first medical we’ve had scheduled all summer. Let’s hope there are no last-minute hitches.

For 80p a month, you can help HLTCO grow.

5 Comments

  • Tom July 31, 2018 - 11:39 am Reply

    Wages a concern but yep could be an exciting signing .. fingers crossed it happens

  • Jose Fonte, baby? Jose Fonte, oh, oh, oh July 31, 2018 - 11:47 am Reply

    Young player, high sell on value, no transfer fee. Perfect! Even if we only have him for two years then sell for 20m+ then it is an excellent piece of business.

    Wages wise, Schalke and Bundasliga wages do not directly compare to London-based Premier League wages. Cabeye, Sakho, Wilf and Benteke were all on 100k plus last season whereas Meyer was on 60-65k at Schalke and was one of their highest earners. By comparison Dann is on 60k at Palace.

    We have also lost Sako (55-60k), Damo (25k), Chungy (25k) as well as Cabeye so can easily absorb his wages. Get it over the line before anyone else joins the hunt!

  • Mark July 31, 2018 - 11:52 am Reply

    The footnote is arguably now interesting – Tammy Abraham is the perfect no10 striker to play alongside Benteke.
    Favourite article of the summer so far!

  • Gordon July 31, 2018 - 11:58 am Reply

    Yes, yes, yes! Get the contract signed without delay! This isn’t without risks but it could be a spectacular success.

  • Lawro July 31, 2018 - 1:58 pm Reply

    I’m not sure his demands are even that bad. It sounds like a lot of the negative press on him is coming from Schalke who seem really bitter about his departure.

    The fact they are so bitter suggests that he’s someone they’d have much rather kept hold of, which says something in itself.

  • Leave a reply