REPORT: Palace Have Made “Most Concrete Offer” For £12m Midfielder

1 Posted by - July 27, 2018 - News

Crystal Palace have been heavily linked with a move for Roma midfielder Maxime Gonalons over the last few days, with reports in Italy now suggesting we have made “the most concrete offer” of any club for the Frenchman. 

Having lost Yohan Cabaye after his contract expired in June, Roy Hodgson has been scouring the market for a suitable replacement and appears to have settled on the 29-year-old Gonalons who, despite a somewhat underwhelming first season in Rome, remains the sort of presence that Palace will need if they are to survive another campaign in the Premier League. 

Whilst reports have suggested that the Eagles have no money to spend this summer, it seems as though the gaffer’s initial comments were taken slightly out of context. Although we clearly don’t have the sort of spending power that has seen us splash out lavishly in previous windows, there are still some funds available for incoming players, meaning the club simply need to be certain of their quality before taking the plunge. 

In Gonalons, Palace would be getting a midfielder who has proven pedigree with Lyon, sitting at eighth in the club’s list of all-time appearance makers. A natural leader and a willing worker, his arrival would give us the sort of depth necessary to take teams on man for man in the middle of the park, with the likes of Milivojevic and McArthur still on the books. 

Of course, there’s always the potential for another more attractive offer to appear at the 11th hour but for now, it seems as though we’re clearly in the lead over any other potential suitors. Let’s just hope the man himself is happy at the prospect of a new chapter being written in SE25.  

HLTCO has no adverts, we cannot survive without your help.

4 Comments

  • Spiceboy July 27, 2018 - 7:07 am Reply

    Another player I’m not convinced on. 29 years old
    coming to end of carer no sell on fee we may as well just save our money and loan two midfielders. Another crap window 0 signings very poor. Also Antonio for an extra 2 million is a far better option than Kouyaté I have no idea what the palace board are doing except parish taking a lot of money out the club via various dummy companies.

  • terence carter July 27, 2018 - 7:22 am Reply

    firstly to wiseowl andben,ive supported this club for over 50 years,many ,many hard times.i just belive as we are on solid groundthen i want parish and co. get their act together on players.he spent alot of time examining our then manager.oh,how did that turn out.on transfers he dithers,u stand still in the premiership your sunk.yes, i thank parish for saving the club back in 2010,and yes i know he loves our club.but on thr transfer market,he dithers.do u really belive this team as it stands will do well next season?two many fans sit back and except the status quo.if u fail to improve your squad in july,then u panic in january.come on how many times come january,have palace not been struggling.yes,i have great faith in roy,was one of those who said last year.july he was a dam good fit for us.if parish brings in some decent players before aug 9th,yes i will praise him,but at the moment as i said unless benteke fires,we are in a hole.tell me im wrong.look at the facts,not sentiment.

  • Concerned Eagle July 27, 2018 - 10:25 am Reply

    Would be a strange signing. We’re in the problems we are in because of signing players with no re-sale value.

    Wouldn’t we be better going for a younger prospect like Dendoncker?

  • Ben July 27, 2018 - 12:23 pm Reply

    Thanks Terence for clarifying. I agree with some of your points but on others I guess we have a difference of opinion. Even though we might not agree on certain things, I always enjoy your comments and appreciate having an opposing view.

  • Leave a reply