Could Arsenal Man Still Be Set For Palace Move This Summer?

1 Posted by - July 5, 2018 - News

On Tuesday evening, reports from Turkey suggested that former Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was all set to be announced as a Fenerbache player but as I sit writing this early on Thursday morning, no official news has been announced by Wilshere or the Istanbul-based club.

As I’m sure many of you are already aware, Crystal Palace have been linked with a move for the central midfielder from the moment it first became clear that he would be leaving The Emirates this summer, thanks in no small part to the close association the 26-year-old enjoys with Roy Hodgson following their time together with England.

A week or so ago, it had looked as though the Eagles had been priced out of the race for his signature but with news of Yohan Cabaye’s decision to swap Selhurst Park for Dubai filtering through on Tuesday, a number of Palace fans have openly questioned whether or not the club will look to revisit negotiations with the fiery midfield man.

Quite clearly, he won’t be willing to come for peanuts and with Palace already relatively well off in that area of the field, (as discussed here) it’s a move Roy Hodgson and his coaching staff may be put off from making. Of course, in an ideal world, we’d bring him into the fold alongside a host of others but with wage budgets already looking rather tight, the smart money is still likely to be on him signing up elsewhere.

With that in mind, you can’t help but wonder what the hold up is in an official announcement being made by Fenerbache. Have West Ham reignited their interest at the last minute? Is Wilshere simply getting cold feet at the thought of moving from London to Turkey? Have they too balked at his wage demands? Sadly, I don’t have any answers, just educated guesses.

Were we looking to source a combative replacement for Cabaye, Wilshere would seem like an obvious choice but as things stand, I’m just not sure we’re willing to meet his terms.

• Spiceboy July 5, 2018 - 6:46 am Reply

Sky announced he is in talks with Westham so no I doubt he is coming to Palace Hoppo. With dumb and dumber (freedman & Parish) sorting out our transfers my hopes and expectations of any decent players coming in fade & die a little every day. Ward (who nobody really cared about signed big wup) & speroni (way past his best) signed a 1 year extension what a waste of a squad player. Either we Actually spend wisely like Big Sam did in January (some quality buys there) or we buy 1 over priced Liverpool reject and we struggle for another year. Bargains r there Shaq (stoke), Trai (boro), Bolo (Everton) & jacky Boy on a free but we seem to do FA. How wilf is still here with the lack of decent transfer activity is a mystery.

• admin July 5, 2018 - 9:38 am Reply

I’d agree with the majority of that other than Bolasie. Not sure he’s close to the same player we sold. Wilf staying is a miracle, no doubt about it.

• Lawro July 5, 2018 - 9:59 am Reply

To be fair with Speroni he’s obviously going to be our number 3 goalkeeper, he’s not expected to play but we do need one. Look at Man U, they’ve just signed 35 year old Lee Grant from Stoke. They signed a relegated teams second choice keeper. It’s just an experienced head at the end of their career who knows they aren’t going to get many games.

As for spending wisely like Big Sam, did he really spend that wisely? He bought 2 left backs for about £12m each, good players, but did we need two left backs in one window. Yes he did get some good players but he had the money to do so. Big Sam just spent a lot and from what the club have been saying since, we haven’t got the money to go and do that again.

As for Ward I’d agree. We’ve extended the contract of a player that I’ve been thinking we need to replace for the last 2/3 years, woo hoo?! All I’m hoping is that Ward staying means that Wan-Bissaka will get more game time.

• terence carter July 5, 2018 - 7:14 am Reply

totally agree spiceboy.i have been a critic parish in the transfer market these past 2 years,i think he,s useless.as i have previously stated,parish will panic at the last moment and buy some dud.i wonder what say roy has in all this. if i was him i,d be more asurtive with parish,and demand some quality or it,s the usual relegation dog-fight.don,t u think us long suffering supporters need a lift.

• Tim July 5, 2018 - 8:33 am Reply

I totally agree with you both. Parish and freeman are useless at getting players in to boost our squad. Can I ask where all this money is from the American owners?? All of it on a new stadium?? Yea it’s nice to have a nice big stadium, but what’s the point when we will be in the championship or league 1 because we haven’t invested in the players we need to get us to the next level. I’ve seen plenty of players in this World Cup that would be good for us. The worrying thing is we not even being seriously linked with anyone.
    We need A central defender, center midfielder, winger and at least two strikers. Are we seriously going to rely on Benteke and injury prone Connor Wickham to score us goals. Very disappointing
    Parish needs to go, freeman too.

• Gordon July 5, 2018 - 8:35 am Reply

Wilshere is the eternal prodigy that never delivered. Dogged by injuries, with a far from perfect behaviour record & huge wage expectations. He could be more trouble than he’s worth. As for Shaquiri, he’s good going forward but defending is beneath him. He’s a temperamental, hot-headed individual – not a team player imo. To our credit, we sold Bolasie at his peak and he isn’t the same player following his long term injury. At his age I fear he’s unlikely to recover his pace.
    Guaita in goal with Hennessey 2nd in line, plus Speroni 3rd for a year seems fine to me.
    Yes, we need to fill the gap left by Loftus-Cheek & Cabaye. Tufan (who apparently can play DM, AM or wide) will hopefully materialise at long last. Traore has always impressed me with his blistering speed and I’d be more than happy if we managed to land him. I haven’t yet given up on the chance that we might secure Loftus-Cheek on loan for another season.

• admin July 5, 2018 - 9:40 am Reply

Solid logic all round there, Gordon.

• Lawro July 5, 2018 - 9:43 am Reply

I’m not convinced by Wilshere. He’s got a lot of hype around him but when it came to proving himself last season with Bournemouth he really didn’t do anything special. If you then look at Loftus-Cheek’s loan the two just don’t compare. One has gone onto make the England team, the other has just been released. Wilshere was supposed to be the next big thing, but he’s never made it there.

I think the most telling thing is that of all the rumours around Wilshere none of them include Bournemouth. Surely they’d have a bit of an ‘in’ given that he played for them. But no, Bournemouth don’t seem bothered. A team who have actually had him for a season aren’t worried about going in for him, maybe they don’t rate him that highly.

I also agree with Gordon I’m not convinced on his temperament either. Wilshere comes across as a player who feels he should be at the very top (his comments about being in the World Cup side for example) and he won’t see Palace as the very top. I think he believes all the hype around him, hype which at the age of 26 he should be fulfilling and which he quite simply isn’t.

• Spiceboy July 5, 2018 - 10:04 am Reply

Lawro: not sure what season you watched in 2017/2018 but I assure you Jack was at arsenal and played the majority of games injury free and looked very good. Bournemouth simply can not afford his signing on fee and wages so why would they go for him? On his day he is every bit as good as Cheek so that was a stupid comment to make and in truth he should of made the England squad as he is better than Dier hands down. Dier bar his goal ruined England’s momentum a sideways player. The only reason why I can understand people don’t want Jack is that he is prone to injury except for that a quality player and better on the ball (bar zaha) than any other player we have. He won’t sign for us though looks like westham will get him a shame if u ask me. Don’t fear though Lawro we r getting a Turkish bloke that none of us have heard of and I’m sure he will light up Selhurst Park like Sloth & Rakip did 👍well done Freedman on those master strokes 👏👏👏👏👏

• Lawro July 5, 2018 - 11:26 am Reply

Ah worded that slightly wrongly. When I said last season I meant 2016/2017. As we haven’t started 2018/2019 I’m still thinking of that as “next season” so last season is 16/17.

As for playing the majority of games? He started 12 came on as a sub in 8 in the Prem (so yes just over half) but he played 1188 minutes. By comparison Martin Kelly played more minutes (1196) and I’d hardly think anyone would say he was playing loads. He actually played last Prem minutes for Arsenal than Sanchez did (1508), and he left mid way through.

He played very good? If he was playing so well I have thought he’d have got himself into a few more games/minutes, 1188 really isn’t that many. Arsenal were hardly an unstoppable force last season if he was playing so well he’d have got himself into that side more regularly. He got 1 goal 3 assists in the Prem last season, apart from one more assist that’s that same record as Sakho. That’s hardly stellar from an attack minded midfielder.

Bournemouth can afford his wages. If they wanted him that badly they could afford it. The same way Palace can afford him, there’s enough money coming in from tv deals that they could, they just don’t want him.

On his day he is every bit as good as Cheek? Yeah I’d agree with that. The problem with Wilshere is when is his day. Undeniably injuries have wracked his career. Injuries seem to stop him getting up a good run of form from which “those days” happen. He’s 26, he should be fulfilling the promise people were talking about and I think you’d struggle to say that he is fulfilling the potential he was once touted with.

I agree that people’s main problem is that he gets injured too regularly but with good cause. Since the 10/11 season (his first big season) Wilshere has been injured for a total of 1001 days. In the same time Connor Wickham has been injured 726 days, almost a whole year less. That’s going to be a worry for anyone, and certainly a risk for any club that signs him.

True we’ve never heard of Tufan, but then I’d never heard of Milivojevic either. So I’m not going to write him off yet.

Also don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that Wilshere is a bad player, he’s alright and would be a decent replacement for Cabaye, but personally I’m not believing the hype that he’s this world beater or definitely will be. He had a chance to show what he could do at Bournemouth in 16/17 and didn’t take that opportunity. At the moment I think he’s a decent Prem player, but nothing more. Maybe he could be more, but he’d be a risk. So if we miss out on him I won’t be that worried.

• Gordon July 5, 2018 - 6:20 pm Reply

Lawro – that’s one he’ll of a post! And well argued. Wilshire is a good player (although well short of the hype) but he’s a risk – and in my view a risk not worth taking. Imagine if we signed him on a 3 year contract and were then relegated. We’d be lumbered with an ageing prodigy on an astronomic salary – and I don’t think there’d be queues of clubs bidding to take him on. Steer clear!!

• Lawro July 5, 2018 - 10:24 pm Reply