Player Given “Written Promise” Over Transfer – Palace & West Ham On Alert

1 Posted by - February 23, 2018 - News

You may remember reading that Crystal Palace made a last-minute Deadline Day bid for Anderlecht midfielder Leander Dendoncker in January, only to be knocked back by the Belgian club’s board. Well now, it seems as though he may have been given the green light to leave them over the summer.

Following long-term interest from West Ham, the man himself was said to be gutted at being denied the chance to leave during the last window, having spent nine years at Anderlecht as both an academy prospect and a fully-fledged professional. Still only 22, the Belgian international has totted up 155 appearances and 10 goals for his current employers but is desperate to move on and elevate his career to the next level, ideally in the Premier League.

The above report makes reference to the sale of fellow midfielder Youri Tielemans to AS Monaco during the summer of 2017 as an event that made a big impact on the mindset of Dendoncker, who was understandably frustrated to see his teammate get a big break whilst he was forced to stay put.

This January, with Anderlecht well off the pace set by Club Brugge at the top of the Belgian First Division table, the club’s Director of Football rebuffed both ours and West Ham’s advances for Leander, telling the press that he “didn’t want to get lynched by the club’s fans” leaving the undoubtedly talented midfield man stuck in limbo over thoughts of his long-term future.

Luckily, there now appears to be a “written promise” in place outlining Anderlecht’s willingness to sell Dendoncker in the summer window; news that will likely see Palace return with another bid for him, if they manage to retain their place in their Premier League beyond May.

After being drawn in the same World Cup group as England, there is a chance we may see Leander going up against Gareth Southgate and co. out in Russia, with an eye-catching performance sure to see his price-tag sky-rocket. In an ideal world we’ll get a deal wrapped up long before then but judging by our approach in recent transfer windows, I wouldn’t hold out much hope of a speedy negotiation process.

• t.carter February 23, 2018 - 8:41 am Reply

i don,t know why your going on about quality players coming in july.surely we should be totally focused on our survival.if we lost these next 3 games,we are in hell.unless the team get the performance they showed against chelsea,on a consistant basis,we,re in lot,s of trouble.recent performances have shown,palace were running out of steam.we can,t keep relying on results elsewhere going our way.i hold my breath,and see where we are come april.

• admin February 23, 2018 - 9:40 am Reply

Because it’s “news”, T. I report on what’s happening regardless of results. If we stay up and sign this lad on the first day of the window without me having written about the agreement, I’d be doing all of you a disservice, no?

• t.carter February 23, 2018 - 11:14 am Reply

i don,t dispute this.but surely it,s our relegation fight that,s most imperative.i respect your view,s,and look forward to your insight,s.but for me im genuinely worried that this bunch of player,s just does,nt have enough about them to get us clear.for me at present it,s between us and huddersfield for 3rd relegation spot.do u belive southampton will go down,cos i don,t.

• admin February 23, 2018 - 12:12 pm Reply

I don’t think we’re safe by any means but talk of whether or not we’ll go down is completely separate from discussion over possible transfer activity in my view. If I wrote 3-4 articles a day hand-wringing over whether or not we’ll survive, you’d all be suicidal I’m sure.

• t.carter February 23, 2018 - 12:53 pm Reply

belive me i do feel that way.ive supported this club forover 55 years and still they never give me an easy time

• admin February 23, 2018 - 1:56 pm Reply

You’d be bored if it was any different, mate!

• TonyN February 23, 2018 - 1:22 pm Reply

I am a little concerned by the number of midfielders we seem to be after given the deadline day fiasco. Whilst having more than necessary is good our wage bill is going to be interesting to say the least. Assuming we survive and I can see 4 times that I feel are more likely to fail we will need to grow the team but new young talent is going to come at a cost. Certainly those who contracts expire at the end of the season will be questioning their futures.

• admin February 23, 2018 - 1:57 pm Reply

I agree the number of players out of contract this summer is a massive concern whichever division we find ourselves in.

• ee signing February 23, 2018 - 11:35 pm Reply

I dont mind transsfer talk but I do find Im not really terribly interested till we know what division we will be in an dont put much creence by the clickbait I see.