The Palace hierarchy are currently working overtime ahead of the looming January transfer deadline but it sounds as though they may be able to temporarily move both Lee Chung-Yong and Jordon Mutch out of loan in the next couple of days.
Whilst there is a real desire to improve the talent pool available to Roy Hodgson in SE25, there remains a fair amount of deadwood below the first-team’s matchday squad, with both of the aforementioned names having seemingly been cast aside by the gaffer since he took hold of the reins in September.
Despite a dreadful start to the current campaign, Bolton Wanderers have stabilised under the guidance of Phil Parkinson in recent weeks and now find themselves above the Championship drop zone with 26 points from their opening 28 games. Admittedly, it’s not the sort of record that will have any prospective new signing drooling over potential glory but for both Chungy and Mutch, it may prove to be an ideal escape-route.
Whilst Lee Chung-Yong has featured six times for us so far this term, it seems highly unlikely that he’ll be offered a new deal when his current one expires this summer, leaving all parties keen to part as quickly and amicably as possible. In that sense, a return to a club where the fans already have a huge soft spot for him is the perfect fit.
In Mutch’s case, the waters appear to be a tad more murky. I’m sure plenty of you will remember the club lining up a possible loan move to Burton Albion back in August, only for it to break down late on when Jordon himself decided against it. With that in mind, I wouldn’t write off the chances of him saying the same if Bolton do indeed make a concrete bid for his services alongside Lee Chung-Yong.
Unlike Chungy, Jordon’s contract at Selhurst Park isn’t set to expire until the summer of 2019 and whilst you would assume that a player of 26 would be desperate to get out and play regularly given half the chance, his previous decisions don’t exactly fill me with confidence that he’ll feel that way about a move to the North West.
With just a handful of days left to go until the deadline passes, it’s good to know that there is some form on interest in the pair; now all we can do is sit and wait for it to be firmed up in the shape of a formal offer.