After “Retiring” Big Sam’s Gone To Everton – Palace Set For Windfall

0 Posted by - November 30, 2017 - Daily Thoughts, News

Just a few months after Sam Allardyce “retired” from club management he’s back in the thick of things, having held positive talks with Farhad Moshiri and Bill Kenwright and agreeing to take charge of an Everton side who have been struggling hugely in the opening stages of the 2017-18 campaign.

Whilst you’re likely to hear a wide range of opinions from Palace fans over the news of Big Sam taking up residence in a Premier League dugout once again, the Toffees’ decision to tempt him back has provoked all manner of debate on Merseyside too. Following a summer in which the playing staff was changed dramatically at Goodison Park, many of the club’s fans have voiced concerns over the long-term ambition being shown by such a “safe” appointment.

It would be easy for me to get bent out of shape by Sam’s decision to get back into football after comments to the contrary this summer but with Palace having more pressing concerns at present, I’m content at picking up the £2 million we’re due in compensation and moving on with our season. We’ve had drawn out managerial sagas involving the likes of Freedman and Pulis in recent years and although the sight of Big Sam in Everton’s dugout may sting a little, there are bigger fish to fry for us between now and May.

In fact, Everton’s December fixture list will give Allardyce every chance of helping us out from afar. Games against Huddersfield, Newcastle, Swansea, West Brom and Bournemouth all take place before the start of 2018, meaning he could do us one hell of a favour by going on a decent run of form in his new role. Our results may have improved over the last six weeks but there’s never any harm in getting a little boost from elsewhere along the way.

With the likes of Pardew, Moyes and Big Sam being given top flight jobs in the last couple of weeks it’s clear to see that “experience” counts for a great deal when the threat of relegation looms large. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking that Palace would be well clear of the drop-zone ourselves had Allardyce decided to stick around for another year but life moves on.

I wonder what we’ll be spending that £2 million on?

• Steve. November 30, 2017 - 12:47 pm Reply

He has never said he was retiring ! Why cant people see that ? He wanted a break to do other things. Ok. so like most people committed to their trade he has possibly found that difficult to give up for any period of time, so he’s now back in the fold having had a break. I’m sure he’s done some of the things he spoke wistfully about in his leaving statement but why anyone should resent him returning to a job in football is beyond me. Good luck to him – the only issue is that it will undoubtedly be one less in the relegation race.

• admin November 30, 2017 - 1:05 pm Reply

“I have no ambitions to take another job. I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League.”

That sounds awfully like he was retiring to me, Steve. As I say in the piece, I’m beyond the point of getting too worked up about it but his statement suggested he wouldn’t be going back into club management and now, just six months on, here he is…

• Steve. November 30, 2017 - 1:53 pm Reply

I don’t wish to be pedantic but it doesn’t sound like retiring to me..and he said he had no ambition to take another job..well we all can change our ambitions..his personal circumstances may have changed as well..but I wont accept that he has renagued on his statement.

• admin November 30, 2017 - 1:55 pm Reply

As I say, I’m not overly bothered, we’ve got our money, we move on. I’d just like him to have stayed.

• TonyN November 30, 2017 - 1:11 pm Reply

The Wilf statue? Or a new Goal Keeper? Never going to get a quality striker for that money. Although interestingly (to me anyway) Anton Shynder is a free agent and we could get him now. Played a couple of times for the Ukraine so whilst not top top quality as emergency cover no transfer fee. Saying that i have no idea about his medical background which may be the stumbling block.

• admin November 30, 2017 - 1:54 pm Reply

I’ll do some research Tony.

• Rhys November 30, 2017 - 7:32 pm Reply

Sorry but I find it rather insulting. Sam didn’t want to do club football, I respected that despite being disapointed. Life should be more than just work, he had done a great job and if his reasons were genuine then he went with my praise but 5 months on is no time. He said for months he’d only come back into management for international football ( talk sports several times) and I was on board with that. But this, well it’s BS. 5 months & it’s a complete change of mind, less if you remember his comments when we sacked DB. I agree with the article to some extent but he has lost all good will in my opinion. He’ll do a good job for as long as it lasts but as far as I’m concerned he’s a liar and he has lost the respect I did have for him.

• admin December 1, 2017 - 9:58 am Reply

I can’t disagree with a word you’ve said here Rhys. For what it’s worth, I feel as though I’d be getting a great deal more angry if we weren’t in such a bind ourselves. Right now, with games coming thick and fast I’m a tad distracted but given his comments upon leaving us, it certainly does leave a sour taste in the mouth.

• Jimmy November 30, 2017 - 7:53 pm Reply

Sam and Tony did what was required – Keep us up – and were well paid.
    If Roy does the same and really does retire – The next manager should just watch Hillaire and Zaha footage to understand the “Palace Way”.

• admin December 1, 2017 - 10:00 am Reply

Wingers and pace on the break are certainly what defines us in my eyes too, Jimmy.

• tzcar December 1, 2017 - 9:58 am Reply

it,s obvious why sam has come back. he left palace i feel,more about being away from his home.now at everton he,s only an hour,s drive from his bolton base.fair enough.i never saw everton as real relegation candidates.in the end he did just enough to keep us up.i personally think he would have done much better if he,d have stayed. with roy his history tells u,he,s more strutured.and u can see the whole team,apart from benteke,are improving all the time.personally i,d rather have roy in charge,the team will fare better with his guidence.but no harshness towards sam,he saved us,and we thank him,after pardews mess.