Newcastle’s Shelvey Facing A Ban After Cabaye Incident

0 Posted by - October 23, 2017 - News

Newcastle fans seemed to love the sight of Jonjo Shelvey mocking Palace midfielder Yohan Cabaye in the aftermath of Mikel Merino’s headed winner at St James’ Park last Saturday but according to reports, the former Charlton man may face a ban for his actions.

THIS PIECE EXPLAINS WHY SHELVEY IS FACING UP TO A BAN

Often championed by the Magpies faithful as a player who loves to get stuck into the opposition, it came as little surprise to see him goading Cabaye in the split second after Merino’s header found the back of the net. Aside from Yohan’s well publicised history with the North East club, his first-half challenge on DeAndre Yedlin prompted outrage in the stands with many adamant that he should have been given a straight red card by referee Stuart Attwell.

Never one to miss an opportunity to get into his competitor’s face, Shelvey embraced Merino’s winner with real gusto, bouncing up off the turf after an aerial challenge with Cabaye before leaning over him and fist-pumping a few inches away from his face. Whilst I could take this opportunity to denounce him completely, I’m not above admitting that I can understand why players like him inspire a certain sense of admiration amongst their own supporters; football fandom is a hugely tribal experience after all.

That being said, the game’s authorities may well come down heavily on the midfielder, given the precedent that has been set elsewhere for similar instances in the past. Thanks to the Newcastle supporters, the incident has been a hot topic of discussion all weekend which, with his already sketchy disciplinary record, may work against Shelvey in the long run.

I’m the first to admit that the sight of his bristling little face, akin to an energy saving light-bulb with eyes angered me on Saturday but in many ways, it is players like him who become cult heroes at their respective clubs, simply because they’re unafraid to get under everyone’s skin.

If you enjoy HLTCO and are willing to help me get closer to running the site full-time; clicking below and pledging 80p a month (or more) would be incredible.

• RndmFgt October 23, 2017 - 8:41 am Reply

Well to be fair, Cabaye shouldn’t have been on the pitch to gloat to, so perhaps the FA will look more toward banning him for nearly breaking someone’s leg, rather than Shelvey celebrating a 86th minute winner…

• admin October 23, 2017 - 8:45 am Reply

Apples and oranges there in a sense.

No denial from me over the severity of Cabaye’s tackle.

• Andrew Grafton October 23, 2017 - 8:51 am Reply

#FakeNews No indication whatsoever that a ban is the pipeline.

• admin October 23, 2017 - 9:00 am Reply

Only going on the precedence elsewhere, as reported in the article referenced Andrew.

As I say in the piece, I actually have a strange admiration for Shelvey.

• Jim Frost October 23, 2017 - 8:59 am Reply

What a load of nonsense. What are these similar instances or have you just imagined them?

• admin October 23, 2017 - 9:01 am Reply

There are similar instances referenced in the piece linked in the second paragraph *red writing*.

As I’m sure you can see, I actually have a strange sense of admiration for Shelvey, Jim.

• Paul Beaumont October 23, 2017 - 8:45 pm Reply

Good lord, where to start.

Firstly, he is not facing a ban. Secondly, these reports stem from some pre pubescent ‘journalist’ that nobody has heard of whereas no credible journalist has mentioned this. Thirdly, there is a huge difference between sliding in on your knees to celebrate and turning and pumping your fists at someone.

I’m not a fan of either of the teams but, having watched Cabaye’s challenge, that was the very least he deserved.

• Colon October 23, 2017 - 9:04 am Reply

Clickbait.

• admin October 23, 2017 - 9:12 am Reply

Not really but whatever makes you feel better…

• Paul October 23, 2017 - 9:22 am Reply

As a football fan, I get somewhat annoyed about the general reactions of players. Whether it be thatrics after a non-tackle, or attempts to get fellow competitors sent off, or aggressive / inciteful behavior…
    As a Newcastle fan, I roll my eyes when players do silly, obvious, niggly rule breaking actions and get sent off (Shelvey against Alli for example…). So I get the perspective you’re offering here.

Having said that, in this instance, I’m inclined to let this one slide….

• admin October 23, 2017 - 9:23 am Reply

I honestly admire him for it in many ways, Paul. The game needs more bastards.

• Stew October 23, 2017 - 9:56 am Reply

If a footballer gets banned for celebrating an 86th minute winner for his team then I think football is dead.

• Jimmy October 23, 2017 - 8:50 pm Reply

Then again – “If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same”.