REPORT: Palace Set To Bid £24.5 Million For Striker In January

0 Posted by - October 11, 2017 - News

Without the services of Christian Benteke in the near future, Crystal Palace are being forced to look towards the likes of Freddie Ladapo and Bakary Sako to provide the firepower necessary to lift them off the foot of the Premier League table but if reports are to be believed, we’re already lining up a January move for a well-known striking target.

According to the Turkish press, Roy Hodgson and the Palace hierarchy are all set to reignite their interest in Besiktas forward Cenk Tosun at the very start of 2018, even though the man himself is unlikely to be all that keen to swap Turkey for SE25 if things stay as they are.

Although Cenk admitted in early September that he would almost certainly have joined us had the necessary paperwork been completed in time over the summer, the respective fortunes of Palace and his current employers point towards a probable change of heart if the opportunity were to arise once again. Whilst we are languishing at the very bottom of the Premier League table without a point or even a goal to our names, Besiktas currently sit second in the Turkish Super Lig and top of their Champions League group after victories over Porto and RB Leipzig.

To his credit, Tosun has played quite a prominent role in his team’s good form, scoring five goals in 11 appearances, two of which came in his most recent appearance, for his country, away in Finland on Monday evening. Indeed, his fine form is likely to have boosted the price-tag Besiktas are set to demand for his services in the New Year, with the previously agreed figure of £12.5 million almost certain to double next time around.

If the Palace top brass feel as though a bid of such size is what we need to survive for another year so be it but it would make you wonder why we were so reluctant to shell out a such a sum over the summer instead.

HLTCO is now completely advert free meaning I need your help. If you can spare a small amount each month to help me pay my bills, I’d be eternally grateful. Thanks.

For 80p a month, you can help HLTCO grow.

5 Comments

  • Richard C October 11, 2017 - 8:18 am Reply

    Not sure I believe this story. If SP refused to spend 12.5m in the summer then I’m damn sure he is not going to pay double that when there is no guarantee of staying up. I agree it’s the sort of player we should be going after but not at that money. Now if we managed to get him and the Barcelona Striker for say £26m total then that would be good business

    • admin October 11, 2017 - 8:31 am Reply

      I did think after writing this that it may be down to the annual FFP budget and a re-setting of the spending power.

      • Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh October 11, 2017 - 12:29 pm Reply

        So are FFP budgets for calendar years and not football seasons? If so that is ridiculous for smaller clubs who cannot hide losses in other clubs/phony state sponsored sponsorship deals.

        We all said that not getting another striker in was risky. Most of us said that if injury did happen then price would go up due to January inflation and the fact clubs know we are desperate. Yet here we are. No doubt we will sign three overpriced strikers and cripple ourselves for the next summer window like we did Schlupp and PVA last season.

        The board have really been a mess in recent windows.

        • admin October 11, 2017 - 2:42 pm Reply

          I’m not 100% sure either way, JFB. I had heard something which suggested the accounting periods stretched over 3 years but I don’t know quite how that translates to cut-off points etc.

  • Pardewispants October 11, 2017 - 5:15 pm Reply

    hilarious

  • Leave a reply