Hodgson’s “£40m CPFC War Chest” Raises Huge Questions About FdB’s Reign

1 Posted by - September 14, 2017 - News

Somewhat surprisingly, reports over the last 24 hours have suggested that Roy Hodgson will be handed a “£40 million war chest” in January, as he bids to save Crystal Palace from relegation to the second tier.

I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you that this story flies in the face of almost everything we were told about the state of the club’s finances over the summer, raising huge questions as to whether the board were simply uncomfortable with the prospect of handing over such a sizeable amount of cash to a man in Frank de Boer, who few appeared to have much faith in.

After the arrival of Jairo Riedewald from Ajax, Palace only made one further permanent signing during the summer transfer window in the shape of Mamadou Sakho, a player who was well known to the club long before De Boer even considered taking up residence in the Selhurst Park dugout. With the club keen to amplify the message that they were tightening their belts after a prolonged spell of heavy spending, I’m sure you join me in raising your eyebrow at the thought of an extra £40 million being thrown into the transfer kitty out of nowhere.

Supposedly, Palace have also told Roy to look into the possibility of finding suitors for many of the squad’s fringe players, whose high wage packets have previously stopped other clubs from taking them off our hands. Should he be able to, the suggestion is that the funds will be thrown in alongside the £40 million for him to reinvest as he sees fit.

It all seems a tad fanciful to me but if the money was indeed there all along, only being held back from Frank because of a lack of trust from above, I can’t help but wonder why we ever gave him the job in the first place.

Almost everything that has taken place at Palace in the last three months is mind boggling. Let’s hope we’re set to go back to something approaching normality from now on.

HLTCO is now a completely advert-free website, meaning I rely solely on the support of readers to keep it going. If you can give just 80p a month via the link below to help me pay my mortgage, I’d be eternally grateful.

HLTCO has no adverts, we cannot survive without your help.

11 Comments

  • Richard C September 14, 2017 - 7:47 am Reply

    It happens in all walks of life. You take someone on who interviews perfectly and fails to perform from day 1. Yes it was a mistake, but at least it has been jumped on quickly. The availability or not of money remains to be seen in January as I am undecided whether this is just paper talk designed to inflame the situation.

    • admin September 14, 2017 - 8:41 am Reply

      I’m skeptical but nothing surprises me these days.

  • Tony September 14, 2017 - 7:57 am Reply

    If Roy is looking to buy and sell then what the hell is Dougie doing to earn his wage? The whole point of a director of football is that they deal with transfers. Or is it a case of having spent £2m to send FdB packing they are not willing for another high profile sacking so soon after the manager. And was the back room sacked or did they walk away after the manager?

    • admin September 14, 2017 - 8:42 am Reply

      I think that line is probably misguided from the journalist’s POV. Transfer targets are likely to be a collective decision with DF at the club.

  • Chip September 14, 2017 - 8:00 am Reply

    Unlike other companies where you come across “someone who interviews perfectly and fails to perform from day one” almost everything about a football manager is in the public domain and anything that isn’t, like his personality behind closed doors is fairly easy to find out

    • Chip September 14, 2017 - 8:01 am Reply

      I can’t imagine the backroom staff walking away and forgoing a nice payoff

      • Richard C September 14, 2017 - 8:54 am Reply

        Don’t wish to argue but when you are employing at this level then all companies know who and what they are interviewing. It still doesn’t mean they get it right. Just look at major companies who change their CEO’s on a regular basis.

  • tzcar September 14, 2017 - 8:11 am Reply

    everybody critises the board but to me,they realised quickly de-boer was a bad mistake.and why would they trust him on buying new players.we all saw reidwide,how ill equipped he is for the premiership.he,l be gone in january.it,s simple roy,is someone u can trust,who know,s the premiership.we,ve just got to hang in their till january.

    • admin September 14, 2017 - 8:43 am Reply

      I wouldn’t automatically assume Riedewald will leave but I’m with you in the sense of applauding the board’s decision to pull the trigger quickly rather than letting it get worse.

  • Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh September 14, 2017 - 10:29 am Reply

    Given we have just sacked a manager and his staff 3 months into a 3 year deal i struggle to see where the money comes from if it wasn’t there over summer and none of the dead wood has left. However, like last season, we may need to spend big to stay up.

    Maybe the payments for last years recruits will be off the books by Jan and it is just part of the accounting for FFP?

    • admin September 14, 2017 - 10:32 am Reply

      That’s a good point JFB, perhaps January will wipe the slate clean once again.

    Leave a reply