Palace Given Huge Mental Boost Ahead Of Southampton Clash

0 Posted by - September 12, 2017 - News, Video

The sacking of Frank de Boer caused outrage across south London yesterday but wedged in between screams of discontent, we were all given a massive boost at the sight of Wilfried Zaha running freely on the Beckenham training pitch once again.

The fact that De Boer had to navigate three of his four games in charge of Crystal Palace without the services of Zaha does add to the feeling that he was hard done by in losing his job so quickly. When all is said and done, Wilf is and has been for some time, our main source of attacking creativity, drawing men with him whenever he receives the ball which in turn, opens up space for other in the final third.

Indeed, having statistically battered Burnley at Turf Moor on Sunday without being able to grab that all-important goal, I was left feeling as though Zaha could and probably would have been the difference maker, had he been fit enough to take part.

Should he be fit enough to return to the side in time to face Southampton at Selhurst Park this Saturday, it would provide a tremendous boost to whoever is in charge (likely Roy Hodgson) as they battle to help us put our first points on the board since the season began a few weeks ago.

Whilst Andros Townsend put in an admirably energetic shift up in Lancashire last weekend, his more direct style, coupled with the lack of threat on the other wing, left us lacking just a tad when push came to shove. Benteke and Zaha are known to have a great relationship off the field but on it too, the Belgian knows he can rely on Wilf to put the ball into the sorts of areas necessary for him to open his goal-scoring account without any more delay.

The Ivory Coast star has always been seen as an incredibly fit lad by nature; I’m just keeping everything crossed that we see him back in red and blue by the time the first whistle sounds against the Saints.

HLTCO is now a completely advert-free website, meaning I rely solely on the support of readers to keep it going. If you can give just 80p a month via the link below to help me pay my mortgage, I’d be eternally grateful.

• Spiceboy September 12, 2017 - 8:22 am Reply

Apparently as I stated before Sharky FDB sacked not only because of results but because of team moral and the fact he was a dick head behind the scenes. You need to get a better source fella if u think he promoted harmony within the club.
    Anyway what’s done is done sakho, cheek & zaha nearly back & hopefully 4-3-3 as well. Just need cheek in for puncheon, sakho cb and push mensah into wards position job done. Also never play lee ever again & stick a rocket up bentekes butt.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 8:25 am Reply

I don’t think I ever said he promoted harmony within the club, did I?

• Spiceboy September 12, 2017 - 8:57 am Reply

Sharpy another poster not u hoppo

• admin September 12, 2017 - 8:58 am Reply

Ahhh, ok!

• Aran September 12, 2017 - 11:57 am Reply

Absolutely spot on there

• Tony September 12, 2017 - 8:25 am Reply

I do feel FdB has been really hard done by under the circumstances, the fact we haven’t got a second choice striker I feel is down to Freedman it was one of the tasks he was said to have been brought in for. Wilf injured and we have only just got Sakho on deadline day I do feel the knives came out way to quickly. Still will be cheering the side on come Saturday no matter what.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 8:31 am Reply

The striker issue will be something that is brought up for years to come, as you say though Tony, we have to get behind Hodgson (if he is indeed the next man in) and hope for the best.

• Ben September 12, 2017 - 8:49 am Reply

I know I will be in a minority but I really do have a hell of alt of faith in SP. I was as shocked as everyone at the sacking, but even then knew that SP would have had solid reasons for doing it, not just the results. This is obviously starting to come out now and it obviously wasn’t based solely on the poor results. Whilst I have sympathy for FDB I think the hammering that SP has been getting is totally unfair. He’s a fan as well as the chairman and only has the best interest of CPFC at heart.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 8:51 am Reply

For me, the error was made in appointing FdB initially; an issue that SP has admitted to getting badly wrong.

With four defeats in four games and a daunting run coming up, we were set to be a laughing stock either way. At least we’ve been decisive.

• Spiceboy September 12, 2017 - 8:56 am Reply

Hoppo that wasn’t a dig at you earlier haha I like your reporting 🙂 I hope we don’t get boring hodge but I fear the worst. Team wise we have an awesum first 11 when all fit the next manager is inheritating a great squad just needs to stick with 4-3-3 and add a player in January and a couple next summer.
    I’m keeping the faith 3 points on Saturday with sakho leading from the back.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 8:57 am Reply

I honestly feel Roy will probably keep us up, I’m not over the moon at the prospect and I’m 99% sure he won’t be here more than two years but right now, I don’t see a better option for us.

• Tony September 12, 2017 - 11:13 am Reply

I am more concerned by the apparent departure of the back room staff. That is the more damaging aspect. Without some level of continuity from the training staff Roy will be picking a team without knowing all their strength and weaknesses. No offence to Ward but he worries me. The sooner we can get Fosu-Mensah out on that side the happier I will be. Those players that came because of FdB (jairo and Tim especially) may react negatively. This is going to take time, we need to make Selhurst that wall of noise so the boys know we will always be behind them. And I prefer this to twitter can’t manage those 140 character limits.

• Richard C September 12, 2017 - 11:50 am Reply

Three points to make:
    1) Hodgson a safe pair of hands. Not ideal but safe.
    2) There is still time to pick up a reserve striker from those without contracts if really necessary before Jan.
    3) FDB was not sacked because of 4 losses, it’s because of behind the scenes issues. He just did not fit in and tried to force his will upon everyone. He may not be a bad coach but in my opinion a terrible man manager and when you put all that together with no results to back your philosophy then it is time to go. SP did make the right decision, so forget what all the pundits say, they do not know what was going on inside the club.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 12:48 pm Reply

If Roy is a better man manager (everything suggests that he’s one of the best) we may just be ok.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh September 12, 2017 - 1:19 pm Reply

My only concern is Zaha. One of the main reasons Warnack never panned out is because of his history with Punch. Hopefully Roy can sort out his differences with Wilf.

One good plus point is that we might be able to get in a few England contenders in Jan. Roy will still have connections at the FA and if they come in, get a good run of form and games and we stay up convincingly i think players will be in with a shout. RLC and Townsend could benefit even more.

This is peak optimism from me!

• admin September 12, 2017 - 2:20 pm Reply

I would imagine that Roy (the club manager) and Roy the England man are two wildly different animals.

He’ll see the players day in, day out and know full well just how good Wilf is. Also, he favours wingers and in reality, we only have Zaha and Townsend to fill those spaces unless you start barrel scraping. I’m relatively calm.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh September 12, 2017 - 12:05 pm Reply

Hodgson, if he can remember his Fulham and WBA days, will keep us up. However, at his age how do we know he won’t do an Allardyce and then we are back to where we were over summer?

I just feel the senior leadership at club has this obsession with implementing pretty football (Holloway, Pardew, FDB) then bottles it and appoints a short term fix that results in us spending over the odds and crippling our wage budget.

I posted yesterday about our league record since the americans came in and i would like to see more visability from them. Most American owners in the PL have a pretty shcoking record (Kroenke, Randy Lerner, Ellis Short, Hicks & Gillet). The best ones that i can think of are Henry (Liverpool owner) and Glazers (who are hardly popular).

At the minute there is no strategy, direction or leadership at the top and 15 league wins innearly two years tells its own tale.

• admin September 12, 2017 - 12:49 pm Reply

I’m crossing my fingers that Dougie and Parish in tandum, can resist the urge to hire and fire for at least 2 years with Roy. We shall see.

• John W September 13, 2017 - 2:37 pm Reply

As the subject is on Wilf. Here’s a question for everyone.

Will the move for Hodgson mean Wilf’s departure in January? Roy was the England Manager who played him for a brief appearance in an England shirt and then neglected him thereafter and he eventually signed up for the Ivory Coast. Does he respect Roy for that, does Roy actually rate Wilf?

Team before Star, any day of course, but sad if this hasn’t been factored by the owners before the rush to appoint a new regime. If we sell him, we’ll be able to use the monies for all those early termination and sign on fees though!

• admin September 13, 2017 - 2:46 pm Reply

I would suggest that Roy the club manager will be vastly different to the soul who took charge of his country. When you think about how much better Wilf is now than then, his importance to our side and Roy’s often discussed great man management, I’m hopeful that a grudge won’t be held on either side.

They’re both professionals and neither have massive egos.