Proof That Palace Will Be Signing A Free Agent In The Coming Days

0 Posted by - September 5, 2017 - News

After the hectic few hours Crystal Palace endured in the lead up to the transfer window closing, it has now become clear that the club will be bringing in a free agent to bolster our ranks (most likely in the attacking third of the field) within the next few days.

Thanks to this interview with recently released third choice goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou, we now know that the decision to let him go was one based solely on the need to bring in some extra depth to our outfield ranks before it was too late.

I have to admit, the decision to release the 22-year-old after the transfer deadline, effectively stopping him from joining another club until the window reopens in January, does leave a rather bad taste in the mouth but with the situation in SE25 obviously one of desperation, it looks as though any moral hand-wringing has been happily placed to one side by those who wield the power behind the scenes.

Given the last-minute breakdown of our deal involving Everton striker Oumar Niasse, you would assume that Perntreou will be making way for a striker, who will offer some competition to Christian Benteke in Connor Wickham’s continued absence. Mali international Chieck Diabate is a man who has been mentioned by plenty of Palace fans in the days since the window closed and for my money, a deal to bring him in would make sense, even if it does just represent a short-term fix to an obvious problem.

Whilst the phrase “there’s no point crying over spilt milk” may be thrown in my direction here, I do feel the need to question why we left a move for what was a desperately needed second striker until the final few hours of the transfer window, sabotaging the immediate future of a young goalkeeper in the aftermath as we scrambled to atone for our own mistake.

Who knows, Diabate or whoever else we manage to bring in may prove to be a big hit with the Palace faithful but in future, it would be nice to think that we’ll get most if not all of our business done with at least a few hours left to spare.

HLTCO is now a completely advert-free website, meaning I rely solely on the support of readers to keep it going. If you can give just 80p a month via the link below to help me pay my mortgage, I’d be eternally grateful.

• Mark September 5, 2017 - 7:06 am Reply

Removing him would take our current squad size to 23/25 – surely that would hint at us adding not one but two free agents?

• tzcar September 5, 2017 - 7:51 am Reply

clearly all is rotton behind the scene,s.how many year,s has it been now,when thing,s obviously not right.the people who i feel for,are the hardy supporters,who stay with the club.no matter what crap is thrown out there.it,s their club,show us some respect,and start running like a mini southampton.

• admin September 5, 2017 - 8:37 am Reply

This is the thing Tzcar, I think Parish intended to do exactly that when appointing FdB but we just don’t have the personnel to bring it about.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh September 5, 2017 - 8:55 am Reply

Feel sorry for Kleton. Whilst not likely to ever be a starter he did seem to do a lot of work in the community and was expected to be going out on loan to Crawley?

As you have all stated, what is more worrying is how desperate we are by September and why things were left so late. One of the main reasons i like football is because it is a pleasant distraction from some of the worst parts of modern life. Unfortunately the organisation at this club worryingly parallels the current Government’s Brexit strategy – hopeless.

P.S the site is much more mobile-friendly now adverts have been disabled.

• admin September 5, 2017 - 9:11 am Reply

Thanks for the positive feedback RE the lack of adverts on the site. It was a move I made to enhance the reader’s experience but it does now mean that I’ll be relying solely on the kindness of you lot to help fund the growth of HLTCO.

• Nick September 6, 2017 - 8:11 am Reply

Dan, I am interested in speaking to you directly, with regards to patron status, I have submitted my email address, please mail me privately to establish contact…thanks, Nick.

• admin September 6, 2017 - 8:23 am Reply

Ok, Nick. Will do.

• HLTCO September 6, 2017 - 8:31 am Reply

Hi Nick,

Could you drop me an email on hltcotwitter@gmail.com, as I don’t seem to be able to locate the email address you submitted on this comment.

Sorry for the hassle.