Pellegrino Is One Of Four Exciting Names On Palace’s Final Managerial Short-List

4 Posted by - June 8, 2017 - News

Last night saw The Independent publish an article which suggested that former Alaves boss Mauricio Pellegrino was one of the final four candidates in line for the Crystal Palace job after the departure of Sam Allardyce earlier this summer.

This piece claims it is now between Pellegrino and one of three other specific names for the Palace job. All four excite me.

Only yesterday, we linked you to an article which spoke glowingly about Palace’s patience in appointing Big Sam’s successor and if the four names given above as the final options for the Palace hotseat are anything to go by, I’d say the prolonged deliberations have paid off for Parish and his fellow directors this summer.

There will inevitably be plenty of Palace fans who don’t know a great deal about Pellegrino’s managerial past but rest assured, it’s one which points towards him being a success in south London, if he is indeed given the post in the coming days or weeks.

After playing for Rafa Benitez at Liverpool, Mauricio decided to join the Spaniard’s coaching staff at Anfield in 2008, where he worked with current Palace coach Sammy Lee. In 2010, when Benitez joined Inter Milan, Pellegrino followed, only for him to be dismissed when the manager resigned in December of that year.

Some 18 months later, he was made manager of former club Valencia, only to be sacked just six months later despite winning 10 of the 21 games he took charge of. He then returned to his native Argentina, having spells at Estudiantes and Independiente, with the latter seeing him amass an extremely impressive record of 21 wins, 13 draws and seven defeats (a 51% win ratio).

A little over a month after leaving the Argentinian outfit, Pellegrino was installed as Alaves boss following their promotion to La Liga. Despite extremely low expectations, the club were guided to a ninth place finish, whilst also reaching the Copa Del Rey final for the first time in their history, where they fell to a brave 3-1 defeat at the hands of Barcelona.

As I say, there are three extremely exciting names mentioned alongside Pellegrino’s in the article linked at the top of the page but given the rumblings around the former Liverpool man over the last 24 hours I thought I’d give you a little bit of extra background on him specifically.

Which one of the four would you go for?

• Richard C June 8, 2017 - 7:59 am Reply

It’s a toss up between Pellegrino and Schmidt for me. I genuinely believe it is time to give a foreign manager a go at Palace. My only caveat to this is that he must be a manager who works with our strengths and not one who wants to come in and totally change the way we play. If we are going to change and progress towards more possession type football then that will have to be gradual and only once we have the players to support it.

• admin June 8, 2017 - 8:29 am Reply

A full summer should help with that but I am with you 100%, Richard.

• mark zaleski June 8, 2017 - 8:27 am Reply

pellegrino potentially has good south American and Spanish contacts where quality players are better value for money. he is young, ambitious, and sounds exciting

• admin June 8, 2017 - 8:29 am Reply

I agree wholeheartedly Mark. Fingers crossed.

• mike ward June 8, 2017 - 8:49 am Reply

As much as it is a huge distraction at the moment and we all hope for an announcement soon, I am glad that Steve Parish and the board are taking their time and not bowing to the demands of an ever hungry media.
    Most of what has been written seems to be absolute rubbish.

I think as Palace fans we should be delighted with any of the options put forwards. We have come a long way from the days of Neil Warnock and others.

I hope we can get a manager who inspires players to both stay at the club but also to come to the club. I also hope we get a manager who invests his time and commitment for several years to really build something. As fans we need to also be prepared to make the same commitment to the players and the manager and not expect miracles from day one (although wouldn’t that be nice!).

Overall I’m excited and feeling positive.

• admin June 8, 2017 - 8:52 am Reply

Spot on, Mike. I’m not sure if you saw the article I linked to yesterday but it said exactly that. This managerial narrowing down process is different to many which have come before it.

• Jose Fonte baby? Jose Fonte? Oh oh oh June 8, 2017 - 9:03 am Reply

Pellegrino or Schmidt for me. They will be able to develop players rather than just buy in expensive imports. So long as it isn’t Hodgson or Dyche i’m happy.

• admin June 8, 2017 - 9:09 am Reply

It won’t be Hodgson, don’t worry about that JFB.

• Tony Jones June 8, 2017 - 9:32 am Reply

Don’t know enough about Pelligrino or Schmidt. Dyche is English! He is the right age and has premiership experience. He is more likely to hang around for some time. He has an excellent record of recruiting well on a limited budget and Burnley players covered more ground than any other team last season which is more than can be said for a few Palace players, especially our number 9. We have to accept that we are what we are, we are never going to be a tic-tac team. Dyche would recognise that, so might the two foreign managers. I guess we don’t really know.

• admin June 8, 2017 - 9:36 am Reply

It’s definitely an unknown jump, Tony. I would say, Pellegrino’s work at Alaves impresses me. That’s a proper job against the odds.