Sean Dyche Really Wants The Palace Job – This Piece Gives You The Details

0 Posted by - June 1, 2017 - News

A new report has claimed that Sean Dyche is extremely keen to leave Burnley and put down fresh roots at Crystal Palace following the departure of former boss Sam Allardyce at the end of last season.

This piece gives you a full insight into Dyche’s interest in the Palace job. The former Watford man is desperate for it.

Having tried and failed to lure Marco Silva to SE25 last week, Steve Parish and his American counterparts have now decided to take a more forensic approach to their deliberations over who should next occupy the Selhurst Park hotseat, with Dyche seemingly straining at the leash to be given an opportunity.

After taking up the reins at Turf Moor in 2012, the gravel-throated gaffer has enjoyed two separate stints in the top flight with the Clarets, the most recent of which has seen him secure their status in the division for a second year having pieced together a truly formidable home record throughout the 2016-17 campaign.

Whilst the “Ginger Mourinho” is regularly applauded for his loyalty to his current employers, you could hardly blame him for being curious about a potential new adventure following five years at the helm in Lancashire.

As HLTCO reported this morning, former Alaves boss Mauricio Pellegrino is also thought to be on Steve Parish’s short-list for the job too, with the above report also shedding some light on the Argentine’s potential movements in the immediate future, but with such strong comments emerging over Dyche’s wish to move south, we could be seeing a conclusion to the latest Crystal Palace managerial saga sooner than many had anticipated.

Admittedly, Sean may not exactly be the most glamorous of options upon first viewing but I for one am warming to the idea more and more as time goes by. He’s certainly a manager who appears well suited to the squad we currently have whilst also relishing the chance to work with a higher calibre of player than he’s been used to whilst in charge of Burnley.

Enjoy.

• Vintage Claret June 1, 2017 - 9:13 pm Reply

We can’t keep hold of Dyche forever, but I feel if he is taking a backward step at Palace.

• admin June 1, 2017 - 9:14 pm Reply

The last thing I want to do is get into a slanging match but I am genuinely curious as to why you think that, Vintage Claret?

• Wayne Garry June 1, 2017 - 11:07 pm Reply

Wud not bothet if he went dun is job at burnley but needs to be carefull who to leave for palace sacking managers all the time absolute backwards step why wud you wont to leave burnley for palace i wud not leave burnley for anybody apart for a top 7 club he not gona get any of them jobs money a guess

• Richard C June 2, 2017 - 6:25 am Reply

It would not be a backward step for Dych, a sideways step perhaps, but to a club that has more resources available than Burnley. He probably needs a fresh challenge and as you say Wayne, he is unlikely to pick up a top 7 team so what are his options? A good solid manager who would not be my first choice but would certainly not be bottom of my list either. There’s a whole crowd of them!

• admin June 2, 2017 - 6:56 am Reply

I wouldn’t discount location being a major factor in Dyche’s desire to join us. He’s also probably rather keen to test himself with a higher calibre of player, let’s be honest.

• Gordon June 2, 2017 - 7:39 am Reply

I like dyche he’s done a hell of a job at burnley but for me it would be a step down from alladyce and I can’t see him attracting better quality players than we’ve already got.

• Claret44 June 2, 2017 - 9:35 am Reply

Ask your better calibre of players where the 6 points are from last season? Better established club I’ll give you, individually yes there are some better players too but would still be a sideways step at best.

• admin June 2, 2017 - 10:28 am Reply

Three of those were a direct consequence of Pardew’s idiocy, the win at Selhurst I’ll give you, though.

• DJ June 2, 2017 - 12:20 pm Reply

As a Burnley fan I think it’s a small step up for Dyche but not one that makes a huge amount of sense, it’s not a big enough of a step for it to be a no brainer. At Burnley he has got a very good job, secure and he’s given some financial backing to improve the squad. We have a new training ground and improved youth facilities to be able to bring through a better quality of player. Palace certainly have a better squad of players, investment is needed in defence but that aside you have quality through the midfield and up front. No idea what your youth setup is like but I think you’re CAT1 which is above what we will go for when we make our application for CAT2.

Dyche has his limitations but gets the best of his team, tends to be pretty rigid with team selection and formation, struggles to make changes within the game to influence the outcome, or if he does, it’s often too late. But his teams are always fit, well drilled and we don’t often get hammered. His best buys at Burnley have been freebies, doesn’t have a great strike rate when it comes to paying money for players.

I don’t get the risk/reward from Dyche’s perspective, it’s a huge gamble to leave a job where there is a different pressure being applied from the outset, not sure Palace will stick with him if things take time to settle in.

• admin June 2, 2017 - 12:26 pm Reply

Thanks for that insight, DJ.

I have to say, I can see where you’re coming from with a lot of the points you are making. To me, it feels slightly reminiscent of Dougie Freedman’s decision to leave us for Bolton and Eddie Howe’s move to yourselves from Bournemouth.

On both occasions, managers left extremely solid jobs taking a slight step up and struggled to have much of an impact at all.

If it does happen, I think Dyche would suit us quite well. I wouldn’t allow any misconceptions to cloud your view, we’re a fan-base that value hard graft, grit and counter-attacking play above anything else.

We shall see in due time but your contribution is fantastic. Cheers.

• DJ June 5, 2017 - 10:56 am Reply

One thing Dyche does know how to do is organise a defence. Which is your biggest weakness.
        Someone said below he struggled to integrate flair players, which I agree with to a point, I think he would be able to integrate flair players if he can find a system to work around them that won’t be harmful to the “framework”, Defour hasn’t always looked fit or hungry which is why he’s been left out. With someone like Zaha he will be expected to do his bit defensively too, unless he changes the system he’s stuck to for the past 4 years.

It’s weird, I thought I’d be totally gutted at the prospect of Dyche leaving but part of me is looking forward to what will come next, into the darkness somewhat but I think both clubs will progress with Dyche at Palace and if we make the right appointment I feel we could get that fresh impetus to move us on too.

• admin June 6, 2017 - 5:39 am Reply

I agree that it could end up being a positive move for both clubs in the long-term if it is handled properly by all sides.

I’m not sure it’s definitely happening yet but the papers seem to consistently suggest that he’s the runaway favourite. The lack of leaks from our side of the fence is actually quite impressive.

• Crispin Heath June 2, 2017 - 1:49 pm Reply

I’ve been thinking a lot about this and before it emerged that he was interested I thought exactly what a lot of these Burnley fans are i.e it’s a sideways move for Dyche so why would he want it, other than financially.

However I’ve had a rethink and decided maybe it makes sense if he does truly want to work for a top 7 club. He’s clearly never going to make a step up into the top 7 if he stays with Burnley for a few reasons:

1. He won’t have the resources to build it much bigger than it is now
    2. There’s always going to be a question mark about can he do it anywhere else and no top 7 club is going to take a risk (they simply don’t need to)
    3. Realistically he’s in more danger of going down again with Burnley and that may not be anything to do with him, just simply the personnel coming off the boil (anyone in the bottom half is at risk of this)
    4. His squad stop buying into him (again even a loyal squad can turn with a couple of decisions that they don’t buy into)

So in short, his stock is realistically 95% likely but reduce if he stays at Burnley unless he does something similar to Ranieri and as we all know that’s highly unlikely.

He could always move abroad to prove himself, but that’s a massive risk. English managers bar a few exceptions – who have tended to be at the bigger clubs – have succeeded, maybe that’s because they didn’t have enough time to make the difference, but the slash and burn approach to managerial appointment abroad is unlikely to change soon so I don’t think a move is realistic.

So actually moving sideways is his best option for his long term career, if he does indeed want to move to a bigger club. If he could come in to Palace buy a couple of key players in midfield and defence, keep Sakho and then somehow take that team to 5th, 6th or 7th a couple of years in a row – which would represent the stretch target for Palace if we’re all honest then- he puts himself in the frame for a bigger club position. He may even have to move again and do it again with say Everton, to truly put himself in the frame, but if he’s thinking about his career then that context makes Palace a highly attractive option.

I’m all for taking on Dyche. He’s a realist, he’s honest about his teams’ performances, his focus on sports science health and fitness is cutting edge. Tactically he’s going to need to prove himself, but if he builds a flexible squad then he has more opportunity to prove himself than he does right now.

Our fans have to accept though, that if we take him on, and he’s successful that we’ll most likely lose him in two to three years and maybe that’s one of the key considerations for Parish if what he says about the Coppell legacy is his key driver behind a managerial appointment.

Anyway I have to say I feel far more positive about this managerial appointment than I did at the beginning of the week. There appear to be far more decent options in the frame than there were a couple of weeks ago, so I move forward in hope.

• Mstrobez June 2, 2017 - 5:06 pm Reply

Originally posted by Mstrobez
    I’d rather we went for a continental manager for once who can really progress a team with a lot of quality and give us something new but I think Dyche is most likely now. It’s underwhelming and a few on the Burnley forum have been mentioning how he’s been unable to integrate flair players (Defour etc.) that don’t fit into his rigid system, I fear Zaha will stagnate under Dyche. Overall I can’t say I’d be too upset as I think he will definitely be a safe pair of hands and will get us doing the basics right but I just think it’s a shame we aren’t looking with a bit more ambition, especially with the players we have. It’s almost as if the Pardew debacle has discouraged Parish from trying something a bit more expansive, if only he and others could see the problem with trying to progress under Pardew was that the manager was tactically clueless – there are many other options out there who can progress our style whilst still maintaining our foundations and organisation, and without the side effects of Pardew. I suppose a comfortable season will do though, I’m fairly confident we won’t be relegated under him.

• admin June 2, 2017 - 11:04 pm Reply

I can definitely get on board with that perspective. It’s certainly possible that Pardew’s dalliance with a change of “style” has spooked the owners into focusing on what we are historically good at rather than looking further afield, which as you say, writes off a hell of a lot of very sound coaches.

We shall know soon enough.