Big Sam Makes Boldest Comments Yet About Signing Liverpool’s Sakho

0 Posted by - April 20, 2017 - News

Sam Allardyce has categorically stated his desire to sign Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho on a permanent basis for the first time, warning other suitors that the club are willing to fight for the Frenchman.

These quotes from Big Sam are as bold as you’ll ever see over his hopes of signing a player. He’s clearly feeling confident.

The press have linked Mamadou with moves to all manner of European giants in recent weeks but having seen him take to life in South London like a duck to water, it’s clear from the comments above that Allardyce is feeling relatively sure-footed over our chances of forcing through a move as things stand.

Having seen his strained relationship with Reds boss Jurgen Klopp splashed across the newspapers for much of the last year, Sakho himself is almost certainly resigned to a future away from Anfield but with a whole host of elite clubs likely to be vying for his signature, Palace fans have never really held any realistic hopes of tying him down for the long haul. Perhaps Big Sam’s words here will change your view on that slightly.

Whilst the likes of Scott Dann and James Tomkins have at times been lauded for their performances in a red and blue shirt, the arrival of Mamadou Sakho has given our supporters an insight into what a bona fide top class centre-back looks like and unsurprisingly, every single one of us are now desperate to hold onto him for as long as possible.

A few months ago, the mere thought of shelling out £30 million for a defender would have been looked upon as lunacy by vast swathes of our fan-base but after just a few weeks of watching the aforementioned Frenchman dominating opposition strikers at the heart of our back-four, you will struggle to find a Palace supporter who would advise against making a bid of that magnitude when the transfer window opens.

Watch this space.

• tom April 20, 2017 - 11:33 am Reply

I THINK id be happy if Sakho was the only player we signed over the summer, providing the whole squad was fully fit of course and we dont sell anyone .. anyone else agree?

• admin April 20, 2017 - 11:43 am Reply

I think we’ll need more bodies given the fact that Ledley etc are out of contract. I agree broadly though, Sakho permanent and a new deal for Wilf would be huge.

• tom April 20, 2017 - 11:55 am Reply

who else is out of contract? cant be too many .. essentially a few quality signings is much preferred over a large overhaul in my opinion this summer

• admin April 20, 2017 - 1:05 pm Reply

I’m not sure of the exact list, I’ll do my best to find it for you.

• Richard C April 20, 2017 - 12:44 pm Reply

We need a forward desperately and one quality midfielder given that we will probably lose 5 or 6 faces over the summer. I agree though, it has to be quality so I think it should be Sakho, new contract for Wilf, a striker, midfielder, a goalkeeper and cheap cover at right back. I can see Ledley, Mutch, Lee, Sako, Campbell, Mandanda and possibly Delaney going as we do not need that many centre halfs if we have Sakho, Tomkins, Dann and Kelly all available.

• admin April 20, 2017 - 1:06 pm Reply

Wickham will be back by August don’t forget. I agree broadly though, the summer is about adding quality in depth.

• Richard C April 20, 2017 - 1:38 pm Reply

Sicknote will only be around for a few games until he gets injured again. It’s a shame but just the way it is. He is like a bigger version of Joniesta.

• admin April 20, 2017 - 1:46 pm Reply

I’m not so sure on that, Richard. His injuries are all different and as Murray has shown, you can come back firing from an ACL.

I love him, I can’t lie.

• Richard C April 20, 2017 - 2:44 pm Reply

Don’t doubt his talent or his effort, just his inability to stay fit.