This Piece Examines Pardew’s Delicate Relations With Palace’s US Owners

0 Posted by - November 24, 2016 - Daily Thoughts, News

After a dreadful run of Premier League form in the last 11 months, those in the national press have begun to question Alan Pardew’s long-term job prospects at Selhurst Park, a task carried out with aplomb in the article attached below.

This piece from The Standard’s James Olley does a superb job of summarising Pardew’s precarious position.

Regardless of your individual stance over Pardew’s immediate future in SE25, no one can deny that the boss has been afforded time by both the board and the club’s fan-base, with only minor murmurs of discontent over his tenure arising prior to the current campaign getting underway.

Whilst some are still openly questioning the relevance of a relative avalanche of statistics that run from January to November, the calls for patience before pulling the trigger are becoming less and less frequent, rightly diminishing after a run of five consecutive Premier League defeats.

With our next fixture seeing Pardew pit his wits against a rock bottom Swansea side still searching for their first win under American boss Bob Bradley, numerous news outlets have reported that a defeat will seal Super Al’s fate with the Palace hierarchy.

I’m sure there will be one or two people who criticise me for rocking the figurative boat by writing this piece but it is to those people that I ask a genuine and entirely serious question. Would any other manager to take charge of Palace in the last five years have been able to survive in the role with stats similar to those Pardew has generated since January 1st?

The likes of Freedman, (undoubtedly a bigger Palace legend than Pardew as a player) Holloway and Warnock were rightly placed under direct scrutiny throughout their time at the helm and none of those aforementioned names ever came close to a ratio of just 10 clean sheets in 23 months.

The above feature from James Olley delves impressively into the delicate relationship between Pardew, Steve Parish and the club’s American owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer, all of whom have been unquestionably reading from the same hymn sheet until very recently. Their supposed concerns, alongside dissenting noises from sections of our fan-base have seemingly led us to a crossroads via The Liberty Stadium, who knows what direction we’ll go in from there?

• Richard C November 24, 2016 - 8:39 am Reply

Some would call our recent results unlucky, some would say we are close to being a good side however this is a results based game and we all know how bad those results have been in the last 11 months. Our defensive structure has fallen apart and you can’t just blame that on Souare’s injury, Benteke and Townsend form have dipped since arrival so there must be reasons for all of this. I am not prepared to pass judgement on Pardew as I am not close enough to the team to know what is going on, however I will say this. If as Pardew says, he has a plan, then at present he is failing to implement it. Something has to change and that does not necessarily mean the manager, but it must be quick before relegation becomes a stark reality.

• admin November 24, 2016 - 8:50 am Reply

I would say that’s extremely level, Richard.

You’re one of the most pragmatic regular posters in HLTCO’s comments.

• mark November 25, 2016 - 6:29 pm Reply

top post Richard.
      The question I would also ask – who out there is a better alternative to Pardew? I cant see the board stumping up compo again for another working manager…

• Ben November 24, 2016 - 9:16 am Reply

Until very recently I was a fan of giving the club stability and keeping AP. I must say at this point that I don’t buy into this calendar year points total as I don’t believe you can compare the tail end of last season with this one. We have different personal and are playing a different way. However, after five losses I’m slowly coming round to the fact that stability is fine but not if it includes relegation. Whatever way you look at it our form at the moment is relegation form. I agree with Richard C that the drop in form of Benteke and Townsend is a worry but at the same time there has been improvements in Zaharias and recently Cabaye. It seems there is an issue in getting the whole team on form at the same time. I would then ask if it is a man management issue. I’m not close enough to the team either (especially here in NZ) but agree that something needs to change quickly to avoid a scrap at the bottom with a team which on paper suggests far better.

• admin November 24, 2016 - 9:33 am Reply

Another well rounded perspective, Ben.

I have regularly said that I would like nothing more than for Pardew to build a lasting and successful legacy at Palace but this run of form is making it more and more difficult.

For better or worse, Saturday’s trip to Swansea will give us a fair answer over his prospects of a prolonged stay. I don’t imagine there are too many out there who see another defeat there as an acceptable outcome.

• Phil November 24, 2016 - 4:51 pm Reply

Teams can pull the trigger too quickly with managers. AP does deserve some loyalty. He is a known quantity in terms of his teams going on winning and losing streaks, he should be given some more time to turn things around.

We have played well but been let down with a few match defining mistakes in successive matches.

If he can take 4 or more points from the next 3 games which is a realistic amount, he should stay. If we lose to both Swansea and Hull, it might be time up.

I do not detect any man management issues as it looks as if the team has put the effort in over the recent games I have seen but the output has not matched the input.

That’s my take.

• Phil November 27, 2016 - 12:24 pm Reply

After that result the gun must be loaded and the rigger cocked, if we lose to Southampton then I think it will be pulled.