Newcastle United Fan Site “The Mag” Are An Absolute Disgrace

0 Posted by - December 1, 2015 - Daily Thoughts, News

Since Alan Pardew took over as manager of Crystal Palace FC, we at HLTCO have felt compelled to comment on the idiotic, pointed and utterly blinkered view of those who run Newcastle United blog “The Mag” on more than one occasion and today, they’ve provoked yet another reaction from us.

The Mag are doing their best to throw a few digs in our direction again; this time by twisting Wilfried Zaha’s words out of all recognition, by suggesting that he intends to keep on “cheating” after being booked against them. It’s both pathetic and ill-informed.

Undeniably bitter about the hammering they received at our hands on Saturday afternoon, those witty little scamps have pounced upon quotes given by Wilfried Zaha in the aftermath of his yellow card for simulation against them, by suggesting that he has vowed to continue “cheating” despite being slapped with a suspension.

You would think that a team in free-fall, stuck in the relegation zone with a floundering manager, passionless players and a universally despised owner would present a website dedicated specifically to the Toon Army with an ample amount of material to chew over, but it seems they simply can’t stop themselves from taking potshots at a side who comprehensively outplayed them over the course of 90 minutes.

The simple fact that the visiting side were already 2-1 down and on the ropes at the time of Zaha’s booking doesn’t seem to have entered into The Mag’s thoughts on the matter, which in essence, highlights their mindset heading into games of late, less focused on their own team’s shortcomings than the disciplinary action taken against the opposition.

My main gripe in all of this though, is the assumption that Zaha had made a living from regularly diving; a lazy and ultimately incorrect statement. Having watched him on an almost weekly basis for the best part of five years, I have witnessed countless instances within which the wide man has been perfectly good penalty appeals waved away as a direct consequence of his “reputation” across the game. Whilst listing them here would be a churlish and ultimately pointless pursuit, the fact remains that he has been harshly treated by the game’s officials for years, not that the narrow-minded chaps at The Mag will admit it.

Perhaps you feel that taking the time to vent about the idiotic nature of their post on the subject is a waste of time and energy, but honestly, the mere sight of their name in our NewsNow feed has come to instill a sense of dread and annoyance simultaneously.

Have a read of it for yourselves, both Palace and Newcastle fans alike are almost certain to roll their eyes.

• thegrindilow December 1, 2015 - 3:06 pm Reply

The mag is a joke even amongst us Newcastle fans. It is the epitome of a clickbait website, and best avoided.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 3:26 pm Reply

Amen. Good luck for the rest of the season!

• Ben Hynes December 1, 2015 - 3:23 pm Reply

im sorry mate but Zaha persists on diving so any suggestion that he’s a cheat is ultimately, 110% true

• admin December 1, 2015 - 3:24 pm Reply

Ben, drawing fouls isn’t diving.

• Dave December 1, 2015 - 3:24 pm Reply

I’m a Newcastle fan, and agree with all of this, The Mag is shite journalism, and its upsetting because they were never like this way back when. But now, they are full of shit and constantly put out pathetic articles, banned them from my NewsNow feed not long ago.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 3:25 pm Reply

Cheers for that Dave, I’m glad to see it’s not just us who despair at their stuff.

• DA December 1, 2015 - 3:39 pm Reply

Also a NUFC fan, and also think the Mag have completely lost it lately. I haven’t seen the incident, so my question is, did he appeal for a free kick? If he didn’t, then you can’t say he dived…

• admin December 1, 2015 - 4:32 pm Reply

Cheers, DA.

No, he didn’t.

• Lee December 1, 2015 - 3:46 pm Reply

Very hit and miss site. Some good stuff on there but some idiotic stuff too. Being a newcastle fan, I see the comments on a daily basis.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 4:33 pm Reply

Cheers, Lee. Best of luck.

• Dave December 1, 2015 - 4:08 pm Reply

I’ve not read it yet but I will.
    Perhaps I’ve been walking around with my eyes and ears shut – I didn’t know Zaha had a reputation for diving! He did on this occasion! I’m not really too fussed about it cos at the time, as soon as I heard the refs whistle, I thought he had given a pen. The fact he’s penalized a cheat is good enough for me. I just wish it happened more often and especially the “big 4” who seem to get away with it on a much more regular basis than anyone else. (I get the impression that refs like to make an example of players from “smaller” teams hoping it has an affect on the “bigger” teams and causes fewer ripples in the media)

• Johnny December 1, 2015 - 4:08 pm Reply

I’m glad other mags feel the same way about this. I find their sensationalist, tabloid drivel an embarrassment to our name. As if we need another embarrassment to our name!

• admin December 1, 2015 - 4:34 pm Reply

Top man, Johnny.

• chris December 1, 2015 - 4:24 pm Reply

You should be looking at nufc.com for relevant (and long running) fan comments/blogs. The mag is shite and typical of this modern day blogging by morons who know nowt about the toon or even football in general.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 4:34 pm Reply

Much appreciated, Chris.

• ToonBano December 1, 2015 - 4:27 pm Reply

The Mag has many contributions from fans as well as dedicated writers. Since it has had its Magazine/Fanzine stopped due to publishing issues, they are concentrating 100% through their new site.

If a website in this day and age has the odd article that has been written by a fan contributor with a slight bias towards its own team then its not a crime…..they all do it.

For the record The Mag is a great institution and is a real shame is no longer a physical magazine.

• Jose Fonte Baby! Jose Fonte, Oh, Oh, Oh December 1, 2015 - 4:51 pm Reply

Like a bitter ex, the Mag is clearly jealous that Pards is now blossoming whilst they are floundering.

Hope NUFC and Villa go down. For too long they have had such a negative vibe and just scrape by. If they go down at least the owners will leave as there is no Prem money.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 4:53 pm Reply

You need only look at the other comments on this piece to see that they are lovely people as a rule though, JFB.

• Davy Craig December 1, 2015 - 6:09 pm Reply

There’s no call for that. The Mag doesn’t convey the views of the majority of our fans and I never “hope” that any team goes down, even Sunderland, because I’d rather we were both playing each other in the top flight.

I reckon that fans of clubs need to get together more and form bonds, because most owners of the clubs don’t really care. If we’re jibing at each other and being petty it won’t help anyone and will only lead to more hatred and violence. No call for it in this day and age!

I’ve also been to Villa a few times, the last time in my wheelchair and despite the way they behaved when we went down, I reckon almost anyone would have reacted the same in that situation (saying that, a number of clubs have been relegated on the final day of the season at St. James’ Park and each time, we’ve applauded the teams and fans – that’s why it stuck in the throat, so much, for many, when Villa fans goaded us when we were relegated. I’ve been treated exceptionally well by the club and their fans and they don’t deserve any hatred thrown at them.

• PJR09 December 1, 2015 - 5:05 pm Reply

Toon fan ( that actually goes to all matches) — the Mag is a piece of sh-t with comments written by people who dont even go to games so know f-ck all – avoid it at all costs, its the same idiots who put comments and moans on three or four times a day.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 5:06 pm Reply

Cheers, PJR09.

Best of luck.

• Davy Craig December 1, 2015 - 6:01 pm Reply

I used to write for The Mag and, although they have “Staff” writers, the editor allows almost anyone, including me, to submit pieces. This is great in one sense, allowing the fans to have a platform to write, but there’s very little editing and, almost, anything goes.

I stopped writing, partially because of ill health, both physically and due to severe depression (supporting Newcastle United doesn’t really help with that!), but mostly because almost anything I said was attacked by mindless verbal thugs, who slagged me off, because I didn’t agree with the Sack Pardew campaign. Alan Pardew did not suddenly become a terrible coach/manager and then become great again and many fans used to him as a scapegoat for the club’s failings in recent years. It became personal against him and Carver and was a total disgrace. Many contributors and writers, for The Mag, epitomised this hatred and uncalled for vitriol. I continually defended Pardew and then wished him well when he left for Palace. I still do. I like the man, having met him a few times, but being a Cockerney, he was never going to fit in. I was hounded and trolled, constantly told that I wasn’t a “true fan” despite hardly missing since I was 6, in 1975 and being a Season Ticket holder for 24 years. This was flung at me by “fans” who hadn’t been to a game for years and mostly watched from the pub! It started affecting my health, so I then decided, enough was enough.

I love football and any team that plays exciting, fast, attacking football, whilst still being able to defend, deserves to do well. I’ve been to your ground for matches on three occasions, over the years and have always been treated well. Decent fans!

I rarely read articles from The Mag, anymore, didn’t see this, but can only apologise for what was said.

All the best.

• admin December 1, 2015 - 6:05 pm Reply

What an absolutely lovely comment Davy.

I’m incredible sorry to hear of your ill health of late, but greatly appreciate your sentiments here.

I’ll be sharing this on Twitter, given your positivity. All the best.

• Davy Craig December 1, 2015 - 6:18 pm Reply

No problem and thanks. I fully expect getting trolled again! 😉

My personal situation isn’t great, at the moment, but I’m in the loop with a top consultant, as from this morning, so will see what happens. I only manage to get to matches and comedy nights, when able, but the two seem to have morphed into one lately! :/

Cheers!

• PJR09 December 1, 2015 - 6:51 pm Reply

Good luck Davy hope your recovery goes well , as for the idiots that gave you grief – what goes around comes around ( hope thats true).

• Davy Craig December 2, 2015 - 1:06 am

Thanks PJR09 Getting grief after my comment was tweeted, because I didn’t fully clarify my Cockney coomment. Ashley’s friends and advisers were known as the Cockney Mafia and many, not all, added Pardew to it. I wasn’t saying that I, or anyone hates Cockneys, that’s ludicrous for me to say, but I know that some do. He didn’t fit in and many didn’t want him in the first place. He can’t be judged on results alone, as his hands were tied and he obviously couldn’t come out and slag off the club’s owner, either. Yes, there have been many players from London and across the world. They’re loved in a different way to managers, apart from Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson, whom many wanted out, called him worse than muck, when he came towards the end of his tenure, but now revere him. It’s crazy! Anyway, we need to learn to get on, I reckon! Cheers!

• Davy Craig December 1, 2015 - 6:48 pm Reply

Told you that people would start picking at something. Pardew was seen by many as part of Mike Ashley’s Cockney Crew, even when we finished 5th. I love Newcastle’s players, regardless of where they’re from, but managers have had a harder time of it. Results were always going to go against Pardew when Ashley sold his two main strikers (Ba and Carroll) and playmaker, Cabaye, without replacing them. Even Mourinho would have struggled! I’m not even going to bother replying to anymore comments! Best wishes.