Newcastle Man Adds Weight To McClaren’s Claims That Pardew Unsettled Him

0 Posted by - August 13, 2015 - News

Fabricio Coloccini has given his perspective on the rumours that linked him with a move to Crystal Palace throughout the summer, suggesting that he never really wanted to swap Tyneside for Selhurst Park.

Only last week, Toon supremo Steve McClaren called out Alan Pardew as a liar after the Palace boss claimed that the club were not interested in a move for the Argentinian, suggesting that we had indeed been unsettling his captain for weeks with talk of a switch to SE25.

Now, fresh from agreeing terms on a new contract, Coloccini himself has spoken about his decision to commit his future to the Magpies, stating that it had always been his first choice to remain at St James’ Park.

I had a few offers to leave the club but I said my first choice is to be here.

“I felt proud because I want to be here, I feel part of this club and this city.

“I expect to be fit and play every game. I would like to finish my career in Europe, maybe here. But maybe I will play a few years in Argentina if I feel ok.”

Quite how serious Alan Pardew and the board of directors ever were in their pursuit of the ageing centre-back will probably never be known for sure, but what has become clear in recent weeks, is that McClaren has been well and truly ruffled by Pardew’s interest in his captain, which will almost certainly have brought a smile to the face of the Eagles chief.

Whilst we don’t appear to be actively looking for a new central defender at the time of writing, the whole saga surrounding Coloccini has felt a little odd from the very beginning, given his advancing years. Of course, experience counts for a great deal in the Premier League but you get the sense that, if Pardew is to go out and get someone new to partner Scott Dann, they are almost certainly going to be on the right side of 30.

After seeing the reaction of most Palace fans, it’s probably just as well Fabricio knocked back our offer, as many would rather we looked elsewhere. On Tyneside, the defender can lean on the goodwill of many thanks to years of service but were he to have made the move south, he would have been judged instantly, which, if his performances last season are anything to go by, may not have ended well.

Hopefully, we’ll shift our focus to a younger option with something to prove.

For rolling news and comment on everything happening at Crystal Palace FC, follow Hopkin Looking To Curl One… on twitter by clicking here…

HLTCO has no adverts, we cannot survive without your help.

3 Comments

  • Richard August 13, 2015 - 10:41 am Reply

    I’m not sure about this. Nowhere outright says ‘Crystal Palace made me an offer’. I actually wonder whether this is a player trying to inflate his own ego somewhat and show how loyal he is to the Toon to gain credibility in their eyes before he has a poor season due to age. I wonder also, if he did get any offers, whether they were from lower division clubs perhaps. Everyone is just assuming the link to Palace. Even McClaren hasn’t outright said which club/clubs were interested. Assumptions…

    • Simon August 13, 2015 - 10:50 am Reply

      Richard, do you miss the reports last week of sshhhteve in the papers saying someone had been talking bollocks after saying he (AP) had no interest in colo

  • Steve August 13, 2015 - 10:13 pm Reply

    @Richard – Couldn’t agree more!

  • Leave a reply